Buying a first 911

I am looking to buy a used 911, but am curious about the difference between the air-cooled older models vs. the new water-cooled engines. I know a lot of Porsche "purists" believe the older air-cooled models are the only true Porsches, but I wanted to hear some opinions on what people think is the best way to go before purchasing my first Porsche (I'm still two years away, but want to start doing research and test- driving soon). I'm probably looking for a model between 1998 and 2004, putting me on the cusp between the switch-over in air vs. water - has anyone had experience driving both? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm also interested in hearing what people think is the #1 thing to know before getting a Porsche for the first time (a used one). Is there any one great piece of advice that people were told or have learned that they'd like to pass on?

Any help would be appreciated - thank you.

-Dan

Reply to
dchorney

what color combo are you seeking, cab or coupe, tip or man., carrera or turbo?

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

A lot of Porsche purists think the only real Porsche is a 356! What I have to say is mostly opinion, I've never owned a water cooled 911, but I've owned air cooled ones, and have driven many water cooled 911's. The oldest

911's I've driven (owned) were 1974's. I've driven most every year since then up to 2006. The new ones are much more sophisticated, comfortable, faster, better handling, but they all drive like 911's. The DNA is there in every one.

If I were buying a recent 911 I'd surely go with the latest one I could afford. As far as 'air' vs 'water', in my opinion with increasing demands from more HP, accessories like air conditioning on virtually every car, more weight, etc, it all became more difficult to manage with air cooling. Oil temp in the air cooled cars varied widely depending on load, and that can't be great for any engine. I 'believe' that water cooling contributes to a more stable temperature operating range.

In any case it's very important that you have the car inspected thoroughly by someone who is expert in Porsche repair/maintenance. It doesn't take much for an overlooked problem to translate to many thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs.

If you're in the US Porsche Club of America is a great resource for finding anything Porsche related. I'm sure there are good clubs in most countries.

Good luck with your search, there is nothing like a 911. As they say, "there is no substitute."

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

I've owned at least one model from most series of 911's beginning with 1972, but missed the "964" series (1990-1994).

Alan's advice is pretty much on target: The older cars are "older cars" and if you're into classics and will accommodate their eccentricities and aging replacement needs, so be it. However, if you want the benefit of the most modern engineering, then you buy the latest model you can afford.

If you're in a warm climate, I'd certainly opt for one of the water-cooled

996 or 997 models. The A/C really works and the engine temperatures won't give you a headache.

Best older models:

'87-89 Carreras (not incl the '89 C4) These are the first Porsches with Bosch's Motronic ignition/fuel injection and these years also got a new transmission with a hydraulic assisted clutch. These are also the last

911's that are reasonably easy to work on without all kinds of electronic diagnostic equipment.

'96-98...These (993 series) are the cream of the air-cooled cars and seem to be holding their value. Note that the '98 cars are all Carrera-S models, built with the wide body...similar to the Turbo.

'01-04...By '01, Porsche had corrected the nuisances of the early ('99-'00)

996 water cooled cars. The '02's on have an extra 25 hp, compliments of the engine being 3.6 L as opposed to 3.4 L.

'05-07...These 997 models represent some significant engineering advances. The "Carrera-S" models have larger, 3.8 L engines with 355 HP. I just got one (06) and it's simply gratifying to drive. Improved handling/steering, improved interior ergonomics, and lots of torque and HP. They're expensive right now, but in 2 years...if that's your time frame, the '05's and '06's should be down from the stratosphere.

If you live and drive in snow, consider a C4 (all wheel drive) model.

And...as Alan noted: Don't buy any used Porsche without a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection by a reputable shop....preferable NOT the one who regularly services it. You don't want any nasty (read that expensive) post purchase problems as poorly maintained Porsche can become a "money-pit".

Join PCA (Porsche Club of America)...you'll have a local chapter to learn from and get the national magazine and access to the website "market" where many of the better maintained cars are posted for sale.

Good luck and regards from Texas!

Reply to
Guru

I'm looking at a '79 VW beetle cabrio for my son (who totaled a Honda Civic in a slow speed roll-over) and noticed that not only is it air cooled but the motor is behind the rear axel.. looks similar to the motor in our 996.. there is a reason for that. is oil an issue for a 1.3liter VW motor? (makes a whopping 50hp, I believe)

Reply to
Low Life #3

I like the last air cooled years only because I like the body style with the wide back end and the turbo look. I did not like the first years of the water cooled cars simply because of the design with the straight sides. When they added the flares again I thought the cars looked great. As most experts will agree, always buy the newest Porsche you can afford. As for me, I like certain body styles, and will probably keep my older SC forever, although more power and the reliability of the water cooled models would be nice. The controls and trannys in the newer models are also much better.

Reply to
Sheldon

i tried yesterday 2006 997 S Coupe with 12K miles - and as i presviously tried some old air cooled ones I cannot really see how it can be compared to each other. It is much more capable car. Only sad thing - dealer wants

54K for car with KBB value of 45K.

Plus dealer keeps telling horror stories into how much I will pay if I get used 2006 997 with 30K-40K miles on it. I still believe that it may be a better deal to get reasonably clean used one with 40K miles for its KBB price with pre-purschase inspection done, of course, then possible invest

5-7K into some repairs if needed than to shell out 50-55K to dealer just based on his stories of quality of pre-sales work at Porsche dealership.

Actually coming to this I have a question to ask - what exactly is covered by regular 100K miles extended warranty? Is clutch replacement/repair covered by it? Any engine related work?

Reply to
Paul Atkin