Carrera 4S in the snow?

How successful is the AWS of a 4S in the snow?

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

I've been in a 993 C4 in the snow and it managed quite well. I'd imagine the AWD system has only gotten better, if it's changed at all. If you live in an area where snow fall is the norm during winter time, you may want to consider investing in a second set of wheels with snow tires on them for use during winter months. The 993 I rode in was owned by a guy who lives in Utah. He bought a set of 18" Champion Racing rims for the car and had UHP summer tires put on them, then had winter tires installed on the factory rims, and just swaps between the sets depending on season. The local shop charges a minimal fee to swap the wheel sets. You may also want to consider a 2005 Audi S4. At

5.2 seconds, it's 0-60 time is only about a half second slower than the C4's (which tests out around 4.6-4.7 based on tests I've seen) and it's very good in the snow. It's also avaliable for about $45,000 which is a fair bit cheaper than the Porsche. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Dan,

I have a C4 1990 911 964 with Snow tires!

The car is great in the snow the only issue is clearance! So if you are fine in packed snow and up to 4 inches you are okay after 6 inches of snow its a very different story.

The car is really great in the rain!! So the C4 really loves the wet pavement

Dan Stephens>How successful is the AWS of a 4S in the snow?

Reply to
Augustus McKnight

Or a Subaru WRX Sti, which will be a superior winter car, and outperform the Porsche in the summer months for about $33,000.

Reply to
Eza Gadson

It's amazing what's Subaru's marketing and a few misguided comments by the Automotive Press have lead people to believe. The C4S can run 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, the STi will average around 5.2, and it won't come close to outhandling the Porsche. Drive both cars in the real world and the differences become vastly apparent, drive both on the track and you understand why the Porsche costs what it does. I've had the chance to drive an STi and a Lancer EVO, fun toys, not track cars. They'll brush off a Boxster S to 60 (by .01) but won't hang in the turns. I can get a 2000 Camaro SS for under $15k if all I want is a drag racer. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Well, does that come in a Cabriolet version? I have a Boxster now and like the convertible top.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

Thanks to all who posted!

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

Yupp. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

season, continue browning. De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth. Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy, reduce oven to 325. Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned ½ cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato ½ stick butter

1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean
Reply to
Eza Gadson

I'm going to take a stab and guess that you live in Europe and drove the plain Euro-spec STi. The US spec (& I would imagine the UK spec Prodrive & WR1) will eat Boxers all day long in the 0-60 run and a C4S would need a better driver to keep up.

One of my best buds had a 996 C4S and recently traded it in for the 996 Turbo (maybe in part b/c the prospect of getting outgunned by a $33,000 2005 US-spec STi is embarassing). We've had a lot of fun in those cars and while I have not driven them on a track, on the back country roads of Fairfield County CT, the US spec STi is faster and more fun than the C4S. On the highway, the 996 crushes the STi once you get past ***mph (that would be a certain speed that my lawyers have advised me not to specify ;-). I generally found that the STi is significantly more explosively quick than the C4S, and if it was a bit lower, could probably get around corners faster too. Part of the problem may have been that I felt less confident about throwing the Porsche around without PSM engaged.

Frankly a lot of the "performance" in whipping theses cars around back roads comes from how fluid the total package is, and a PSM engaged C4S just doesn't feel significantly more fluid than the STi to me. Some things are better, some aren't. All in all I have more fun in the Scooby.

Reply to
Eza Gadson