clutch failed after 30.000 ?

hi.. got a 2003, 996 (911 carrera 2 manual).. it's got close to

30.000km on it.. last trip on the highway I noticed something not good..

driving in 5 or 6 gear an accelerating hard.. it fells like the clutch is not as "hard" as it's supposed to be (hard to explain the feeling).. while the engine rev's up.. and the car is not accelerating how it's supposed.... so I'm worried there could be some problem with the clutch.. still the car is as new..

any ideas before I go to the shop with it ?

Kam Oe

Could be a problem with the slave cylinder, but that should occur in all gears. May be some problem with the clutch disk also.

Good luck

Reply to
Weekend Guru

I have a 2002 C2 with the 6 speed. The type 996 has had instances of rear main seal (RMS) leakage, and this could affect clutch performance. If you park the car in your garage, put paper or a drip pan under the rear of the car and see if you've got a leak back there. You may have to watch over a number of days in the event of a slight leak, but a slight leak probably isn't going to cause your clutch problem. Porsche has come out with a redesigned seal and that cured my car's 2 drop a week leak 20,000 miles ago.

Ask your shop to check for a RMS leak.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Thanks for the tips guys. I have put a newspaper under the car to see the leak more easy. If I spot the RMS leak, is it still ok to use the car for a 800km drive I need to do friday ?

Kam Oe

take a couple of liters of oil (synthetic Mobile1) and you should be ok. We had the RMS leak and the Porsche dealer gave us an appointment that was two weeks off and told us to check the oil every day before we drove it.. No problems, and we put about 1000 km on the automobile.

Reply to
Low Life #3