Compare '99 911 to '01 BMW M3

Prices are similar, although the 911 is a tad more expensive, but I'm split between the two. I've read the M3 is more edgy and unrefined, but a blast to drive... while the 911 is smoother and everything just seems to work perfectly together. What is your experience? Which has higher maintenance costs? Higher insurance costs? Any recalls, or other mechanical problems that these models are know for? Thank you in advance!

Reply to
kade714

It's really "apples and oranges," trying to compare a Sportscar/GT to a true

4 seater. I've not got a lot of BMW experience but am quite familiar with Porsches.

Remember that '99 was the first year of the Porsche, water-cooled 996...so I'd check out those maintenance records carefully. The M3 is probably going to be a somewhat better "everyday driver"...but even that's questionable as I'm driving my 2001 Carrera Cab everyday. How much room do you need? How does the ride quality of each car compare...and which one's motion keeps your "gut" and middle ear (sense of balance) happiest?

Ergonomic comfort: seating, controls, clutch, shifter...are they right for your height, etc.

Have either one inspected by a knowledgeable, independent shop prior to purchasing. Either one could be a "money pit" if you don't.

Good luck...and regards from Texas...

Reply to
Guru

I work for an upscale car detailer and I drive cars of all ages daily. We get lots of Porsches and BMWs in. I have a bias towards Porsche (owned several) and that may color my answer here a bit. If you take excellent care of the cars, in ten years the Porsche will still be a joy to drive. The BMW will be just another old car.

But the real question, as stated above, which car best meets your needs? They really are different cars. I drove a new M3 that was as challenging as any car I've ever driven, Ferrari's and Lamborghini's included. Even high performance Porsche's tend to be kind of docile if you choose to drive them that way. The Porsche always gets my nod for a car I could drive daily if I didn't need the extra room of a sedan body style.

And having a real expert look over either car can save you huge bucks in the long run.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

Reply to
Devils944S2
911 is a sports car, M3 is just tarted up saloon (ok, it's got excellent engine), there is NO comparison, apples and oranges... Regards, Martin
Reply to
Martin²