Crankshaft seal

Apparently, my CS seal in leaking (very little).. Is this of major concern? I don't seem to be using any extra oil.. my pressure it a little over 4 instead of at 5. Will this be ok for another couple thousand miles? I store it 1st week of novermber.

Also, I have a radiator leak.. I need to refill the resevoir every three days or so.. how vital are these fixes?> Thanks

-Rhad '89 944 2.7 litre 69,000miles

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

G Larson

69,000 miles? That's strange. Those engines are supposed to make it to 300k no problem without needing attention.
Reply to
Brad

Rhad - Do you store it in the winter? Do you run it occasionally to keep the seals lubed during the storage process? You may want to run a seal conditioner so see if that shores up the small leak and then ask your local shop what you can run in it to keep the seals lubed.

The resident troll was right about the durability of the 944 engine. It will go 200K to 300K with little more than routine maintenance.

Reply to
JFKFC_1

Reply to
tecwhiz

No

Must

Porsche

Devils

He means 824!

Corollas

If a Jeep actually cost $40 wouldn't you buy one?

Jeeps

Hey hillbilly, proper names. When you married your sister she became Mrs. Tecwhiz Dumbass, not mrs tecwhiz dumbass.

Come in here with more than a 3rd grade education before you even think about tangling with me.

Reply to
Devils944

How am I a troll if his car is leaking at 69,000 miles? How many posts of "Help! My Porsche is broken at 70k miles!" will it take before people like you cut the shit? Porsches are very good cars, but gimme a break already on the "Porsches are built by God" attitude. In the end, they're still just cars, and cars break.

Reply to
Brad

While I can't speak for JFKFC, your flippant response to Rhad's initial post and the fact that in discussing the Chevrolet V8 that powers "the fastest cars in the world" you cited John Force (the Mustang-bodied funnycar with the Chrysler-descendant engine)to support your pro-Chevy position indicates you're short on knowledge and long on BS, which is pretty troll-like in my book...........

Reply to
Jim Keenan

? I said the fastest cars were actually Chrysler engines but that Chevy engines still made 2000+ horsepower, some of which near that level even have license plates on them. As usual, you just want to nitpick every minor thing while missing the bigger point entirely because all you want to do is argue. Next you'll call me a troll for misspelling a word. If you and people like you would put your egos away for once, it'd be easier to have an actual discussion around here, whether the participants fully agree on a particular subject or not.

Reply to
Brad

If it helps, I will.

My 1983 911SC Targa currently has 220K U.S. miles and except for valve adjustments, the engine has never been opened (no timing belts ;).

-It still runs great!- This is one terrific car! I'll let you know when I get to 300K ;) Maintenance costs have averaged about $500/yr. 'Course I do the work myself.

I've heard a credible report of 380K on another 911SC. Same story - unopened engine. I'm sure there are a lot more 911s where that came from. A couple of other ones I've owned have had between 100K and 200K.

I think that's extremely impressive for a performance car.

Reply to
default

Yes, you are wrong.

I think most Poraches are great. I also think the posts about Chevy V8's breaking at 70k miles are overinflated, (as well as the posts of Porsche engines lasting 300k). 10k into an aftermarket Chevy V8 will pretty much get you as much horsepower and as much reliability as you could desire. How much is a *stock* used 3.6 engine again?

It's not that I argue that Porsche engines suck. It's that I argue that Chevy engines don't such like people claim they do. Look at the aftermarket of those engies. My God, you can do anything you want with them. Stock, they can be pretty nice. Aftermarket-built, look out. I don't know how anyone could argue against such a thing.

Reply to
Brad

Brad

I agree. You are a troll. In the 944 group, I was looking for advice on what to do with a broken 87 944 Turbo. You came back and said "That's really strange since all 944 engines should last at least 250k miles". I wanted advice, not BS. How did your response help me? It didn't do a damn thing for me.

Just as Rhad simply wants an answer to his question/problem. But you'd rather come up with some BS that starts a firestorm of responses that are out on some tangent. Simply put - You're no help!

Reno

Reply to
Reno

And my IQ is over 150 and considered genius level. Who cares? I didn't say you put out BS. I said you like to argue about offhand comments just because you want to argue with me about Porsches and Chevy engines. If you can't see that putting a Chevy engine into a Porsche might be a good idea for certain people, then that's your problem and shows your closed-mindedness.

wtf? You just called me out that I said Chevy engines power the fastest cars in the world when it's really Dodge engines. I corrected myself before you had a chance to jump on it and blow it out of proportion, yet Chevy engines *still* make obscene amounts of power. You missed the point entirely because you like to argue. Don't try to play the innocent angel now. I've said many times that while Chevy engines can make more power for cheaper, that doesn't make them "better" than Porsche engines. But you just want to argue instead of being honest and helping people.

This whole argument goes directly to your credibility.

If you can't see I mentioned John Force so you'd think of Funny Cars, then that's your low IQ problem, not mine.

If you can't

Give me a break. You are obviously reaching here. Cut the shit and be honest for once.

You shift gears and say you meant "domestic" and then try

Suddenly Dodge engines aren't domestic? Show me a Porsche engine that makes more power than a Chevy engine. You don't make any sense. So, yes, I guess that makes you a moron.

I have said nothing that isn't true. You just like to nitpick so you can argue about *something* I say. Grow up.

Reply to
Brad

It wasn't BS at all. I said the same thing that plenty of people here say to people with broken 944's. You should have taken my response with a grain of salt as I intended. Half the people around here will tell people a 944 will last 300k, and then when someone comes in posting about their 944 that broke at 70k, no one says anything and they suddenly go into denial.

Reply to
Brad

Brad.. I have always listened to you side with an open mind. But this is a very stupid unwarranted post. Yes, my $15 seal broke after 69,000 hard driving miles.. oooooh, that is so bad.

If you have experience with you P-car.. do tell. Otherwise, allow people with actual experience and real input do the talking.

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

Now come on Brad! If this were true (IQ), you would earn some f*ing money, and buy a f*ing Porsche. I can't take your incessant blather any more!

Porsche = Good Chevy = Bad

Monkeys could learn this faster.

You can shine a penny all you want but in the end its still a penny. And you are a poor man in a land of quarters.

Time to wake up and smell the Coffee. CHEVYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!

period end of story

If I wanted to hear about Chevy's, I would go to that chat group.

Porsche's are superior.. END-- OF-- STORY! If you are as smart as you claim, then this is blatantly obvious to you! If you think different, leave now and forever hold you tongue!

(Man am I fed up with your endless idiocy and blustering tirades of useless BS.)

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

Reply to
G Larson

Front seal. Of course the dealer just replaced all my belts and water-pump and didn't bother replacing this when they were in there 2K miles ago!

Reply to
Rhadamanthus