Daily Driver

I'm thinking of buying a 86 944 from a friend for my 19 year old daughter. The car has 97,000 miles and I was just wanted to see how many of you use your 944 on a daily basis and how reliable they are? As far as I know the timing belt and water pump were done at 79,000 miles. Car is in nice cond. and he is going to sell it to me for only $3000! I just worry about it breaking down or being a money pit. Thanks.

John

Reply to
John McCullen

Hi John-

As anyone will tell you, a properly maintained 944 should give you 200,000+ miles. I would just be concerned that the maintance records are complete and that the vehicle was serviced to factory specs., at the correct intervals. That information always tells the tale.

Good Luck! Steve

Reply to
pcarfan

I have an 86' 944na that I use as a daily driver. I have never had the car stop or fail on me. I have owned it for 3 years of bliss and plan on keeping it several more years. Now the key here is what you expect from a daily driver because I don't drive my car in the snow. I tried once, and never again. It all depends on your weather extremes so consider that for your daughter. I have an excellent heating system in my car but I don't have LSD so winters are a no, no for me.

Agelon Jones

86' 944na Guards red
Reply to
Agelon Jones

Reply to
Jetson

Incredibly reliable. If properly maintained, a 944 will perform flawlessly. . $3000 is a very good deal, but fix its are expensive. It would pay to have a certified Porsche menchanic give it the once over, as major fix could 'total' the car with a quickness.

-Rhad Davis '89 944 2.7l n/a

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

bought similar car, with about 190K for my daughter at about same age - made her do the body work it required and most of the mechanical stuff - this is how kids learn to not be idiots around mechanical stuff. I put about 250K on mine with no serious problems and then gave it to my brother who is still driving it. If you do none of your own work, it will cost you a grand a year, I suppose. If you do all your own work it is quite inexpensive.

Reply to
william_b_noble

The bad news is she will be driving it in a Minnesota Winter. I figured if we put some snow tires on it with some sand bags in the rear it might not be too bad. I drove a 94 SupraTT for a few winters and as long as I didn't get too left foot happy it was fine. I figured the same for this car. She is going off to college in the fall, and that happens to be about a 5 hour drive for us. Any tips on what kind of work we should have done to get the car ready for the long haul? Many thanks.

Reply to
John McCullen

: I have an 86' 944na that I use as a daily driver. I have never had the car : stop or fail on me. I have owned it for 3 years of bliss and plan on : keeping it several more years. Now the key here is what you expect from a : daily driver because I don't drive my car in the snow. I tried once, and : never again. It all depends on your weather extremes so consider that for : your daughter. I have an excellent heating system in my car but I don't : have LSD so winters are a no, no for me.

Well, I have a 83 with a rebuilt motor. Of all the cars I've had it's never left me stranded anywhere... even when I spun the rod bearing, I drove it home (abit slowly).

In Chicago we have snow and cold... last year, approximately 2 weeks of -10 or colder temps made me drive the Ford, the year before, 2 days of more than

4 inches snow kept it in the garage... the year we got 31inches of snow in December, the car was sidelined most of that month... it's not a good snow plow at all, but if the roads are clear and the temps are 0 or above, I tend to drive it.

That said, the upkeep is a bit on the high side... We have a VW GTI, really as cool of a car to drive, but half the cost to do anything.... My 18 year old drives the GTI.

Beware of insurance though, read

insurance company had a fit, even with liability only because I had a teenage driver on my policy (the letter from the .gif is dated the same daymy wife called to get a quote on adding a 16 year old boy to our policy).

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I drive mine here in Kansas City, so the snows tend to be a little slushy. I sit and spin even in a little snow so, I don't drive it then. That's what the F150 is for.

Hey JC I would like to know about that change to r134 for just a fitting. What was the kit you purchased?

Agelon Jones

86' 944na

Reply to
Agelon Jones

You've been given some good advice from everyone else. I'd just add, I = live in Indiana and our winters are comparable to Minnesota's. I've = driven my 87 N/A every day since I purchased it in 1996. (Except for a = few days when it was in the shop.) It handles the snow just fine. You = can forget about the sand bags. The engine is in the front, but the = transmission, etc. is in the rear, giving the car true 50/50 weight = distribution. It should have a belly pan under the front to protect the = engine, etc. from any damage that driving in the snow might provide. = I've yet to have any problem at all driving in the snow.

--=20 Jack

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.