ebay scams

Has anyone found an unbelievably priced hot car on ebay, only to find out the "car is in europe?" I've gotten the same BS 20-or-so times, with the owner adding that he imported the car from the US only to find out that he cannot register in europe due to higher safety standards. What is the deal? Is this just an attempt to have you wire money? Or are we dealing with car-theft rings that re-badge autos in E. Europe? Has anyone here actually sent these people money? Please share your experience.

Reply to
nabusa

It's a scam. I've communicated (?) with a couple of these idiots - just for sport.

Last one was a 5series, listed as being in St Paul MN, but photographed with palm trees in the background. When I brought that to the intention of the seller - sure enough - the car was actually in Italy, but he would happily ship it upon receipt of $2000. I could pay the rest after receiving the car. Shipping was free because he knew the captain of a container ship.

There are no cars. They copy pics and copy from other auctions. When they offer in an email to sell you a $40K car for $6K, it's fairly obvious that fraud is involved.

DS

Reply to
DFS

I had a 911 for sale on cars.com & a few other spots last year. Some guy took my ads, pictures & description & made an e-bay auction out of it. The Pics he took even had my mailbox with my house number in the background. He had more or less the same story as the other scammers. The car was overseas & he would ship it to the buyer upon receipt of $2000 in shipping fees.

I wonder it a bunch of people could get together & scam the scammer? Run up the bids to $100,000 or so, send fake money orders, etc.

--Mike

Reply to
Michael Janke

up the bids to $100,000 or so, send fake money orders, etc.

******* That could land you in jail. What we need is the police to run the scam & then arrest the guy. But of course we know they won't 'cause the police don't give a ~(
Reply to
ThaDriver

Actually, I've seen bids go sky-high on scams before - people just set up ebay accounts, post a ton of bids, then close the accounts later... a better bet though is to report a scam if you see it. I've seen plenty of suspect auctions get deleted after people actually make the effort to report them to eBay.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B