Engine Swap

I have a 1985 Corvette that needs a new motor. Instead of shelling out cash for another GM engine, does anyone know if it would be possible to swap in a V8 from the Porsche 928 series? If so, which engine would be the best from that model line? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
James Walsh

That sounds like a fun idea. Until you start counint the $$$. There are smooth, high-pref 928 engines, but the cost is high and the options are small compared to any Chevy engine.

Trust me. I'm finishing up an engine re-build on my 928 and it's going to be $2500 with no mods whatsoever. "Like new" but nothing special...outside of being a sweet 300hp!

James Walsh wrote:

Reply to
someone

Don't talk your baby down, that engine stock is something special.

300hp, must be a little later than mine, I only get 240 or so in my 84 :(
Reply to
Bernard Farquart

I'd stick with GM - you can get a lot more bang for your buck from a crate motor, and the maintenance won't be nearly as much as a 928. For the kind of money such a swap would take, all in, you could likely get a 32-valve 928 engine with a nice car still around it. There are S2s on Autotrader for 5 or 6 grand. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Makes no sense dollarwise. It would be easier to buy the whole 928 and get the front engine / rear transaxle advantages outright.

Reply to
Devils944S2

The wiring harness on the 928 would cost you more than the whole Corvette replacement.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bob I

Actually the torque numbers are similar, the horsepower numbers are not. The

5.0 liter 928S was 288HP/318lb/ft of torque while the 5.7 liter Corvette had 230HP/330lb/ft of torque.

But..I agree...probably a troll.

Reply to
Devils944S2