engine ticking noise

i have a 1988 944 turbo s with 103,000miles on it. the problem is the engine, it runs beautiful with the exception of a rather annoying ticking noise. this noise appears to be coming from the top end and is noticibly worse when the engine is cold. the car has an excellent service record and has been run on fully synthetic engine oil for around the last 25,000 miles. i am begining to think that mabe it is the camshaft,although im no mechanic. could this be costly to sort? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
stevieboy

Valve lifter or "tappet."

"Costly" is relative. $1000 at a m> i have a 1988 944 turbo s with 103,000miles on it.

annoying ticking noise.

the engine is cold. the car has an excellent service record and has been run on fully synthetic engine oil for around the last 25,000 miles.

could this be costly to sort?

Reply to
G Larson

My 86 944 also has something that sounds like it could be related to this...if I wait til summer to do it, will it hurt the car? Is this a problem that could leave me on the side of the road?

rather annoying ticking noise.

when the engine is cold. the car has an excellent service record and has been run on fully synthetic engine oil for around the last 25,000 miles.

mechanic. could this be costly to sort?

Reply to
Lester

You need to figure out what it is. Before something shreads, fills your engine with metal shavings and you're rebuilding an engine you didn't need to.

Bad lifters that can be safely ignored tick at start-up but quiet down after a m> My 86 944 also has something that sounds like it could be related to

Reply to
G Larson

This would be me. After it runs for a few moments the sound goes away. Actually, about two months went by (October-November) where I didn't hear the sound at all, and about the middle of December it came back. Its not like a tick tick tick, its more like a plasticy raddle? I will take it in non the less.

Reply to
Lester

Just curious, does it happen at a certain RPM?

Reply to
rory911