GT3 Vs. GT40 Vs. F360 Stradale

Anyone else seen this article? I believe it's this month's cover article in Road and Track. The GT40 won outright, which I thought was underserved considering it's company. But the GT3 pulled 1.03 g on the skidpad, the 2nd highest rating ever recorded by the magazine, behind only the Ferrari Enzo. On top of that, Car and Driver's writeup of the GT3 from a few months ago showed a

4.0 second 0-60 time. Next time the Corvette boys come trolling about the Z06, throwing around it's 0-60 times and 1.0 g skidpad performance, I guess this will just have to be their medicine. I also hear that suspension revisions have taken place in the "new" more powerful GT2, hopefully it's skidpad numbers will be as high or higher than the GT3s.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

highest rating ever recorded by the magazine, behind only the Ferrari Enzo. On

Reply to
Devils944S2

just wait til the c6 comes out, better quality and performance than porsche, you guys will be up a limb. LOL

Reply to
genious boy

drives a 10 year old audi derivitive...guess audi924 boy would be the one to tell us about cheap from experience. LOL

Reply to
genious boy

Corvette hasn't gotten the quality part right in 50 years. Why is this version any different? You must have and driven both cars already to make such a bold statement.

Chevrolet has said they're going to fix the Corvette's notoriously cheesy interior. We'll see........If they get that part right then they can start working on body panels that line up and bumper paint that matches the rest of the car.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

This also coming from an "expert" that can't even spell "genius". What is it about these uneducated retards that they think they can come in here and make their "points" yet it is painfully obvious that they haven't got a 3rd grade education?

I laugh at the hicks and let them go...if they want to buy a Vette, fine, it gives us people to laugh at.

Reply to
Devils944S2

I know I shouldn't be feeding the trolls. And I certainly didn't start this thread with the intention of starting an argument. But you're a moron of the highest order. The fact of the matter is that Porsche designed the 924, and there's no two ways about it. They may have designed it originally to be sold as an Audi, but it was still designed by THEM. The only Audi part about that vehicle was it's engine, which was heavily modified over time and eventually replaced in the 944. The 944 has been hailed as a best buy for years, as long as you can find one in good shape. A 1989 951 gets you 50/50 weight distribution and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds for under $20k. I've posted links to articles about the 944 from Automobile and other magazines, but you don't pay attention. Hell, I guess if GM fans could read, they wouldn't be GM fans, would they?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

We don't have much choice. I can't make it come out NOW can I?

Better quality than any other Corvette, I'll believe. Better quality than a Porsche is a pipe dream. The Caddy version of the C6 Vette' (XLR?) was compared via Car and Driver several months ago to upscale competition from MB and others. The unanimous verdict was that while the Caddy offered bang for the buck, it could not match or come close to the overall fit/finish or quality of it's German competition. If GM's "premium" model can't compete for quality with the German cars, what makes you think the Chevy version can? As far as performance goes, the C6 will probably not have any problems dispatching Boxsters and 996 generation Carreras, and I admit it. But we're approx. a year away from 997 variant Carreras, which will probably boast either a V8 or a new flat six making close to or over 400 Hp. Keep in mind, the Carrera is a lighter car and makes more effecient use of it's power than a Corvette. The 360Hp GT3 is as fast to 60 as the 400Hp Z06, it pulls more Gs on a skidpad, is faster around a racetrack, has a far nicer interior, better build quality, and a higher resale value. I think that merits the extra expendeture.

I feel like climbing a tree everytime I see a Corvette. But it's mostly just because I don't want to be near a Corvette. GM got lucky with the Z06, it took the sportscar world by surprise, and they got their pat on the back for it. It won't happen again.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

How typical is that, the American car has an engine twice as big/supercharged and is being compared to smaller N/A and six cylinder engines. Wouldn't want to match up like cars! (Enzo, Carerra GT)

Reply to
Stan Walton

I'm guessing tecwhiz has a new handle......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Steve, the GT3 is actually listed as 380 HP, I think. The next Corvette is due around September 2004 as a 2005 model and will reportedly get an engine bump to 6 liters and around 400 HP. The next Z06 will supposedly follow in a couple more years (if Chevrolet follows past practice) and be around 500 HP, possibly out of a 6.3 liter. With Viper and the Ford GT both at 500 HP Chevrolet will have to go there to keep up. Chevrolet supposedly has a 600 HP Corvette in the works for when Viper/Ford up the ante.

Horsepower wars are the coming thing. The BMW M5 will supposedly go to

500 HP and they're going to introduce an M6. The M3 will reportedly get a V8. My 320 HP Carrera is going to be giving up a lot of displacement and HP to the new cars, and I don't care. I don't race the car and she's more than adequate to get us from here to there quickly and comfortably. But this is an exciting time if you like performance cars.

I'm no Corvette fan, but I would have to disagree on the lucky part. The Corvette produces good raw performance numbers for the money - that has always been the car's strong point. The shortcomings of the car have been pointed out by enthusiast magazines, you, me, Devils944 and a host of others. If you want a fast new car and have $55K to spend, the Corvette is a good deal. The Mustang Cobra, Subaru Sti and Mitsubishi Lancer EVO are better deals.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Not feeding trolls is one theory. Another is hitting them right between the eyes with the facts until they get it straight. There's something to be said for the latter.......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I would disagree about the Mustang Cobra. There is a big difference between the 'Vette and the current Mustang in chassis development. The STi and EVO - I agree with.

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

From a price stand point - it makes sense to compare as they did. The cars compared are more or less in the same price bracket. Not so with the Enzo and CGT. I honestly think that people that can swing a GT40 will also consider the GT2 and 360 - but the CGT and Enzo are really aimed at a different price point.

Honestly, if you are buying for the street and for some racing regulation, the size of the engine is really not a big deal, IMHO.

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

You're right about the GT3, it was a typo. But the point I was trying to make was how much more effecient the Carrera is than the Z06. With a 3.6 litre,

380Hp flat six, the GT3 can produce accleration numbers identical to the Z06, which uses a 5.7 litre, 400Hp V8. I'm sure that Porsche is well aware of the upcoming C6's potential, which is why they're seriously considering the use of a V8, perhaps based on the Cayenne's 4.5 litre mill, to power the 997s. Performance numbers are all a portion of the story though, build quality and fit/finish come into play, and the German marques have the Americans beat in this arena. I think it's fair to say we're in for an interesting competition.

This is true. But keep in mind, you'rs is the outgoing version, slated for replacement. I've heard that the 996 will be bumped to 3.8 litres with somewhere between 345 and 380 horsepower in the interim. The current 320Hp car has been clocked down as low as 4.4 seconds to 60, a 3.8 litre 380Hp engine should bring it right down into Z06 territory.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The Mustang Cobra is quicker than a regular Corvette to 60 MPH and through the 1/4 mile, and it's not far off a Z06 in both categories. Agreed that the chassis is not as sophisticated as a Corvette, but the car does have an independent rear suspension unless I'm mistaken. The supercharged engine is also relatively easy to modify for more horsepower if the reports I've heard are accurate. For $15+K less than a Corvette the Mustang seems pretty good.......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Much like the 911 TT and even the Corvette, the Cobra's new engine is fairly easy to get a lot more power from. Most of the high-power Saleen tuned Stangs' had superchagrers added to them to bring output up, the new model has a supercharger from the factory. And keep in mind that while the Vette is sticking it out with an OHV engine, and the Mustang GT has an SOHC layout, the Mustang Cobra is using an all aluminum DOHC engine with 4 valves per cylinder. If bang for the buck is what you're after than the Mustang Cobra has it all over the Corvette.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

And if I'm not mistaken, the Mustang Cobra has Brembo brakes....

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Faster where? Not around any race track that has turns both ways.

There is a reason for that.

I am not in the market for any of these cars - but it does not surprise me that the 'Vette is more expensive, just as it should not surprise you that a

911 is more expensive than a 'Vette.

So what? If technology for technology sake was that important the 911 would not have stayed rear engined. The current small-block is an engine that provides a lot of power and performance in a relatively small physical size. Why is it that big of a deal that it is OHV?

If you are willing to live with a chassis designed in 1979, it sure is. There is more to life than raw numbers as Porsche people usually tell Corvette people.

Ron. (Not a 911, Corvette or Mustang owner).

Reply to
Ron Loewy

More moving parts, more to go wrong, more to keep lubricted, less efficient.

I do agree however about your price statements...cheaper is cheaper for a reason. I will definitely take quality over bang for the buck any day, because bang for the buck only goes so far and quality lasts. I used to have this argument with my old boss all of the time...which is cheaper, one $100.00 unit over 10 years or a $55.00 unit replaced every 5 years.

Reply to
Devils944S2