Help a newbie

Hello folks...

Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for work as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got much to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had two cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with

89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo) with 72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed both. He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura would be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am not expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem near mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right direction, it would help me out a lot.
Reply to
Johnny

I can't tell you about the Porsche, but that GSR was due for a timing belt just about three years ago. Did it get one? If there are no service records, it would be wise to change it, and that's not cheap.

Reply to
John Ings

Reply to
Devils Advocate

My buddy spent $5000 in maintenance on his mid 90's 944 last year. There nice cars, but the Porsche will ultimately cost you significantly more money.

Reply to
DH

If this is from a dealer, the think to do would be to negotiate a timing belt into the deal.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Smart people buy Porsche. Its zinc coated body will last years and years longer than the Acura. The Porsche will keep its value. The Porsche has a

250,000 mile water cooled engine that is one of the most powerful four cylinders ever put into production. The Porsche interior will still be looking new while the Acuras will be driving you crazy after that plastic knob breaks off in your hand for the millionth time. The Porsche design is timeless, the Acura is just another car from the Japanese copy cat series that will rust after 5 years of ownership. Most importantly, buy the Porsche and you will be able to say you have a car made by one of the premier automakers on the globe.

Reply to
Rudy L

I own a 94 integra, and i don't know what plastic knob you're talking about but nothing in my car has broken off or broken down anymore than any car that is nearly 10 years old. I still get compliments on my car, and it looks like new. Since gen3 was made up to 99, if kept in good shape it can look like a young car. i have no major complaints about my car. ask me anything about it.

Porsche, on the other hand, is Porsche. If you have the money to upkeep it, then do it. I don't know much about them, but it's true I think in that it will probably last longer, WITH THE RIGHT maintenance. But 1987, means it's already 16 years old.

It's like how my mom loves mercedes. Porsche is a different CLASS altogether with integra. It's about what you love, and what you wouldn't mind spending time in. My mom tried to get me to sell my car for a 96 mercedes (which she eventually bought herself anyway) but ... i love my car, that's the bottom line. i have driven the merc a few times, and yes it's nice and all, but in the end, i prefer to drive mine.

Which also leads me to ask, how's gas consumption on the porsche? my car gets about 28-36mpg city/highway.

Anyway...

Reply to
bandabee

Honda/Acura drivetrains are notoriously reliable, this isn't a surprise. On the other hand, they also have cheap interiors that tend to wear, and eventually, crack and break more easily than some other brands. But a well cared for Honda/Acura shouldn't be having any major problems, at 10 or even at 20 years old.

Mercedes have never built a car that's ever been anything like a Porsche. It doesn't mean that MB is bad, they've made some *fantastic* automobiles, but they're different kinds of cars. The Integra isn't a bad car either. GS-R and Type R variants have always been fun to drive, especially when driven hard, up in the VTEC range of the powerband. A 944 Turbo is going to offer a lot more performance for less money than an RSX. But it's also dated and expensive to maintain. It's a matter of priority and cost.

Your mother probably had her own reasons for wanting you to make the switch. But it also indicates that she doesn't understand what it is you enjoy about the Integra. Much like some people can't find the enjoyment in a 914/4 or 924 (even if it hit them in the face).

Reply to
Steve Grauman

And die inside a little bit each day.

Reply to