How likely is it to have success buying a 911, keep for 1 year, then selling it? (like renting for 1 yr)

Hi all:

In my mind, I am thinking of ways to start owning a Porsche now that I finally have some money. How likely is it to expect to buy a porsche of the 87 to 89 age and expect to sell it in a year or so for the same price?

I am talking about the $15k to $20k range in price. Assuming I study the books on how to buy used porsche 911's and find a good one for $20k that has a cab top and a whale tail (that is the classic look I love), how likely is it that it will hold its value? How quickly can I expect to sell it in a year? Do porsche 911 sit for months and months for the right buyer in the classified or can I expect to sell it in a decent time frame?

How likely is it that the car will break down in one years time and become a money pit, even against my best efforts to make sure the car was good when I bought it? Are Porsches good long term durable cars?

I know I am asking some vague questions, but I have to start some where. I will refine my questions as I learn more from reading used 911 books and as I get closer to finding the right 911 to buy.

For kicks, here is one I found. Does it look like a good one?

sincerely. Dr. Moser

Reply to
LovingPerson

I just did it...

It is much better than expected. I have it from 3 months... They are indesctructible, if well mantained.

Come on! Get one

"LovingPerson" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

countach

I'm not an expert, but......

LovingPerson wrote: .....

Depends on the model. Most of those should be close to fully depreciated, so the basic value will not go down by much. You should assume that if you add miles the car will depreciate because of higher milage.

Depends on price & economy.

Depends on the model. All will require maintenance. Some require more. I've heard that the SC's from the early 80's are pretty bulletproof. Don't know about later ones. But any used car can have a major failure at any time. That is simply part of the cost of buying used cars.

I would post those same questions here:

That group of people has a great attitude and is very helpfull. Plus they actually know something -- unlike me. :)

I just sold a 71 911 for $12K and bought an S2000 for $33K. After one year of the new S2000 I will have absorbed at least $5000 in first year depreciation and $2000 in insurance. So an $18K 911 cabrio would be much cheaper even if it needed some work. With new cars you eat the depreciation, with used ones to take the risk of having major repairs.

Absolutely critical is to have a real Porsche mechanic look at the car. Pay him $200 or so to look at it before you buy. Ask in the above forum for the name of a good local-to-the-car mechanic.

Good luck.

--Mike

Reply to
Michael Janke

Hey !!

I've just traded my S2000 for my actual 911 Carrera 3.2

:))))

nice.

oh, S2000, i'm still missin' it.. It's very different than a 911, but it have something special... that noise.. that 9K rpm... that roof... that look....

here it is...

"Michael Janke" escribió en el mensaje ...

Reply to
countach

I want to! I do!. :-) I want to do more reading and make sure I don't make a mistake and end up with a money pit.

Congrats on your purchase. How much did you pay for it and what year was it? Is it a convertible? Got pics?

Also, are you planning to sell it in a year like me? Or do you plan to keep it?

thx in advance.

Dr. MOser.

Reply to
LovingPerson

I answered this on Pelican, and you actually came pretty close. I recommended an early 80s cab, say from 1983-1986 or so, in good shape and with a common color (black, red, silver, white). Keep it in good shape and don't drive the wheels off and it should be simple to get the same money for it next spring or summer. The pre-1973 cars are similarly holding value well, but it's much trickier to find a good one. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I like that color. It is not available in the US. I'm sure I'll enjoy this car for quite a few years, but I suspect I'll be back in a 911 someday.

Take care.

--Mike

Reply to
Michael Janke

I had one of the good ones. 45K miles, not rust & all original.

I like your line on the Pelican thread:

"Cheaper than a taxi, cooler than taking the bus."

:)

Reply to
Michael Janke

It is a 1986 euro Black Carrera 3.2

This are some pics:

I'd paid a little bit low of the average price for a 3.2 in europe, around

16K euro.

My plan is enjoy it for a whiel. Believe me: a 911 is a MUST HAVE, there is NO CAR AROUND that transmit the same things than a 911... You have to pick up one before they get too old.

Then, I'd want to own a 928, and maybe a 944 turbo cup, or a 968. I had a '84 944 and got good memories, this is the most balanced Porsche...

And of course, every time I see a S2000... maybe i'll return to it...

I'don't know, now I'm enjoying the 911...