How to check a car?

In Canada when you buy a car there is a vehicle sales package that needs to be purchased that will give you the history of the vehicle as well as past owners and if there is a lean against the vehicle.

How do you handle this in the U.S.? How do I check for a lean against a vehicle?

Reply to
HotRod

"HotRod" wrote

You mean "lien". In the US, the title to the car is held by the lien-holder. Usually, the lien-holder is also mentioned on the (separate) registration. The history is associated with the title - carfax.com searches title transactions.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Will carfax tell me if a car has money owing against it "Lien"?

Reply to
HotRod

If you are looking at the title, all the info you need is on it.

It lists the "registered owner" and the "legal owner"

If it only has one name, you are golden.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart