how to install rear hatch struts

I have a 928 and just purchased the hood and rear hatch struts. Is there a trick to remove the old ones? I thought that they just snapped off, but I haven't been able to remove them. Thanks, S. Cohen

Reply to
thorbaron

There will be either a metal band or wire clip that needs to be removed. There are several types of replacements in addition to the originals.

Luckily, they usually snap > I have a 928 and just purchased the hood and

Reply to
G Larson

I found that you need to pull the weather-stripping off to slip the body side over the ball, it was a tight fit and i put a little scratch in my paint, so be careful

Use a very small standard screwdriver to pull the metal band out of the old one, (if that is the type), or pry the plastic cap off the back ( the other type)

Paul, 1984 928s

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

If your 928 is anything like the 944, it helps to have a helper lift the hatch slightly. This takes the weight off the struts and makes them easy to remove.

Walt

-...- Walt Spector (w6ws at earthlink dot net)

Reply to
Walter Spector

I used a mop handle to keep hatch raised -- worked! Pmouse

Reply to
Pmouse