importing from US

Hi I am shopping around for a Porsche Boxster between 2000-2002. I have heard of staying away from first generation Boxster since many had engine problems. Are first generation between 1997 & 1999? Also I have done some research on importing and I know I have to pay a

6.1% duty, +$195 for import fees to riv.ca + sales taxes. Though I am looking at the difference in prices from
and there is a huge difference. Many2000 models range from $15K-$18K while in Canada they average atapprox $23K. I know I have to pay approx $1000 to ship it from texasto here but the savings are huge. Am I missing something here?Also on auto trader 2000 Boxster with +- similar miles range from$15-25K is it just one dealer trying to make more money or is there adifference in the models?Lastly any good places besides autotrader, cars.com and ebay to searchfor used Porsche. Thanks in advance
Reply to
erables40

"Many"...? No. Only ~3% of the early cars motors had the casting problem. Many were resolved and if the car has made it to 100k miles, it will likely not exhibit the problem. I see them as low as $11-12k (US) and think they are wonderful bargains. Especially for a track car.

Are you comparing Canadian dollars to US dollars?

I stay far away from autotrader now that it is primarily a dealer forum. Craigslist is getting far too many dealers too, but many private party vehicles are readily available. The trouble is that you have to search every major city individually. I have heard of Craigslist macro search tools, but have never used any.

I see plenty of deals in my neck of the woods (Seattle). Hope that helps, and keep us posted.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator