is the cayenne s the best car ever built?

I say yes!!! i have had mine for a month and think it combines a sports car and suv.. my other cars are 5 series bmw and acura mdx the cayenne has somehow merged these two cars into the most thrilling and practical ever built, and to think its almost 100% tax deductible !!

Reply to
dick allen

Good for you. It's still ugly. There, someone had to say it. ;~P

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

but probability says no.

Reply to
Holden McThynge

Ahhh...the Cayenne is ugly yet you put your stamp of approval on the

968?!?!?! The 968 fails in much the same way the Cayenne does. Technically better than earlier models, but lacking the eye catching beauty of the earlier models. Is it just me or does everyone else think the Toureg looks nicer?

Reply to
Devils944S2

Not only nicer but more sensible.

Reply to
MG

You mean the best TRUCK built ! Wouldn't be seen dead in one of those things... Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

okay so maybe it is a truck

how many trucks hold their value like this? I paid $52K for an 05 and the black book for a year old 04 is $54K.

Reply to
dick allen

Ug, I just can't stand that gaping open maw of the Cayenne and the SUV trend. Well, the 968 appeals to me because of the 993ish front end. It's got good performance in that sleeper look. No, it's not as striking as others, but then, that's why I bought the 993, eh? I'm thinking of following Emanuel's lead and getting each 1995 model. Don't get excited as it's only a thought. I don't have the garage space, but I'd suppose you'd volunteer yours...? ;~P

DS

Reply to
The Dead Senator

Yes the Tourage is better looking. That's what I've been saying to everyone who asks for my opinion. Unless you're planning on changing your cars every year or so why worry about resale value. Similar to counting my dollars as my home appreciates in value.

Reply to
Gordon

As a 928 owner, I must take exception to that!!

I find the 968 to be much improved from the earlier 944 versions.

It looks alot like another car I am partial to....

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

DS...I 'm full...the S2 and the Exploder combined with all of my crap leaves little space. On second thought, the Exploder can sit outside...the 993 will match up nicely with the S2.

The >

Reply to
Devils944S2

The lower valance emulates to snout of the 996 Turbo and is supposed to create a family resemblance, but it's proportions make is less attractive. I like the Cayenne from other angles, though. Speaking of family resemblances, the '95 928 and 968 have a much stronger resemblance - the 968 makes a nice tie-in between the 993 and

928, especially the way the headlights resemble a 993 when lowered and a 928S4 when raised. I've always thought that trio of Porsches look good together, with much more design harmony than my 83s, inside and out. Emanuel (who's been browsing 996 ads)
Reply to
E Brown

I was given a Cayenne S as a loaner when the 996 went in for rear tires and ended up keeping it for several days when the dealer had trouble getting the tires.

The S was fast (for an SUV), handled very well (for an SUV), was extremely comfortable (for anything) and would manage 20 MPG with a light right foot. My wife has had Explorers (company cars), my folks have a Lexus RX330, we own an MDX and I've test driven the Toureg. If we were replacing the MDX and had the money it would be the Cayenne, no contest.

It may not be the "prettiest" SUV, but after living with it for a short while it was certainly the most competent.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Reply to
bocabrian

The German Auto Club (ADAC) did a pretty good test last year.. They took a bunch of SUV's up to a ski slope, gave them each a 200 meter running start and then it was straight up the ski slope (covered in, of all things, snow). The Toureg 10 cylinder Diesel won by a wide margin over it's nearest rival, the Cayenne. The Mercedes and BMW SUV's were below average, Toyota, Jeep, and Nissan did almost as well as the Porsche...

Reply to
Holden McThynge

I own a Jeep Liberty with 5 speed manual transmission, sport package, V6 and the 4 wheel drive you shift into from inside the cab. I paid a whopping 20K for the privilege of going off road on the mountainous areas of Colorado, the farm areas of Kansas and wherever I need 4 wheel drive. I drive this car on the road when I need to take my wife and dogs with me on a trip or when bad weather is expected. The rest of the time, for handling, for good weather, I take my 1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa which has been babied by me since new or I take the newer 1984 928S which my wife babies as her daily driver. Now I paid 20K for the Jeep, have about 7K in the 928 and over 25years, have about 40K into the 1980 including all purchase costs and maintenance. I do not know why I would buy a 50K Cayenne or any of the top dollar SUVs since no matter how you slice it, you still have a truck no matter how nicely it handles or how fast it goes. I actually do use my SUV as an off roader which I know is very novel to many. I am not putting down those who have to own the Lincoln Navigator, Porsche Cayenne, Cadillac Escalade, Infiniti whatever but to me it seems like putting a sows ear in a silk purse and to me, it seems like buying a lot of image.

Reply to
MG

well calm down there, Pilgrim. Our other car is a '89 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 with underside armor that has been off road in the North American Southwest as well as off road here in Europe. Has a bunch of miles on it, and it's been a fine vehicle thus far... Being garage kept, the body and interior may never die, so the question seems to be do we invest in a drive-train rebuild when the motor dies?

Reply to
Holden McThynge

If You have got a micro-penis, it may be the best car ever built especially for you...

Reply to
Broder Busch

One of my "neighbors" from up the street has a Cayenne Turbo. He also has a late 1980s Jeep Wagoneer that's in really mint shape. He uses the Cayenne as his daily driver as well as to tow jet skies and ATVs, and takes it to Tahoe for light snow duty when he goes skiing. He loves it because it has the capability to tow essentially anything he'd ever need it to tow, it drives, handles and acclerates like a high-end sports car and it's actually got a pretty damn good off-road ability, if he ever needs it for that. However, he still uses the jeep to carry his 3 dogs, large loads of lumber or anything else he made need to carry, and for any off-roading he may want to do. He doesn't want to risk any major damage to the $90k + Porsche. That's what makes it useful though. It's tow capable, has plenty of space, a surprising amount of off-road ability and it handles, drives and acclerates like a sports car.

Reply to
Steven Grauman