lightweight flywheel

Anyone any experience with lightweight flywheels on a 996? Or is modding suspension a better approach as a first step?

Reply to
dr_karlb

Was wondering if anyone had insights into the relative advantages of lightweight flyweel or modding suspension on a 996? Anyone done both? Whch was niggest payoff?

Reply to
dr_karlb

Mod the suspension. The lightweight flywheel will do nothing for you but possibly cause a idle/stalling nightmare.

GP

Reply to
G. Patricks

Not entirely true. Yes, the stalling will be an issue, but the lightweight flywheel will cause snappier engine response. The lower mass will get quicker revs and allow quicker drivetrain response. It won't give you more HP, but it limits less HP to the tires since more mass stores more energy. Less drivetrain mass and weight means the car will be slightly faster.

Yes, the suspension should be done, too.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Put on lowering springs and a louder exhaust. This will make your car more "bad ass" and isn't that what we all want?

The flywheel will be a comparably high cost way to get better performance. Can that car be chipped? That'd be easier, cheaper and give more results.

dr_karlb wrote:

Reply to
someone

I agree that a lightened flywheel will give benefits but it also has detrimental effects for many people, like constant stalling in traffic due to the lack of rotating mass. A properly done suspension upgrade will do much more for the overall performance picture for the same (or less) cost. He asked which to do 1st, I always go to handling. Power is relatively easy to add, but is useless without handling and then added braking power. Of course if he intends on tracking the car I would upgrade in this order -

  1. Safety
  2. Handling
  3. braking
  4. power