Low-speed tires.

I recently bought a 2001 911 coupe. It came with high-speed tires, 235-35 ZR 19 in front, 270-30 ZR 19 in rear. They are almost worn out.

I've heard that high-speed tires wear quickly. Since I don't intend to drive over 100, I would rather have tires that last rather than go fast. However, tires in this size all seem to be Z rated. Does anyone know where lower-speed tires of this size can be bought?

The wheels, obviously after-market, bear no names or numbers that I can see.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Morgan

I don't find anything recommended for that year (and I've got one myself) that's lower than Z rated. Rears will wear twice as fast as fronts, so relax on the gas pedal and you'll be doing the best you can. Now...if you can find someone like Wheel Enhancement to swap wheels and go down to 18" or even 17", the car will ride smoother, the wheels will be less likely to get bent, and the rubber will last longer. Those 19" make for a really rough ride on those ultra-low profile tires.

Reply to
Guru

the 40:60 weight distribution along with rear-engine, rear-wheel drive must be punishing on the rear tires, and it is.

how about the Turbo, is the shed rate for the rear tires the same rate as well? i'd think the all-wheel drive of the Turbo would ease the workload of the rears

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

Some may argue with me on this, but I believe there is more to the difference between H and Z than just the speed ratings. Z rating tires are on that car for a reason. If you can afford a late model 911 you can afford good tires for it. I don't believe you will find an H rated tire that will give the kind of performance you expect from a 911.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

It's not really the speed rating; it's the performance rating. Most Porsche tires are quite soft, giving you a tire that wears quickly but gives you maximum performance. How you drive the car will have a huge effect on how long the tires wear.

Reply to
Sheldon