Luxury car buyers: how will you explain it to your Creator?

When you leave this earth and your expensive car behind to stand before your Creator, how will you explain to Him why you spent so much money on a car in the face of so many others' unmet basic needs?

Reply to
M_P

He will say "You worked hard, you did well, using your brain the way I intended"

Obviously you did not!!What will you tell him?

Reply to
Joe Gliebe

that luxury automobiles are made by people with families to feed.

Reply to
Low Life #3

Easy, I'd say "They had the same opportunities as I did." Fact of the matter is, no one gave it to me (my inheritance was a letter opener, worth about $5) and I didn't steal it (worked for everything I have.)

Of course self-righteous people don't believe it, but that's life! Try this on for size:

Father/daughter talk...

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words, redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed.

Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He asked how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew.

She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't have time for partying with friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?'

She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for her classes because she's too hung over.'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, That's insane!

How could that be fair???

I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work!

Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!'

The father sheepishly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the Republican party.'

I've never heard a better explanation of the difference between Republican and Democrat.

Reply to
PeterD

Which is how you got the money. What about how you used it?

Non sequitur.

Reply to
M_P

There are (at least) two problems with that reasoning:

  • The necessities that those with unmet basic needs could have purchased with that money are also made by people with families to feed.
  • At best, that's an argument for not participating in a sudden mass rush out of the luxury car market, since only such a spike would leave workers without employment alternatives. Since there's no realistic chance of such a sudden mass rush, your logic fails.
Reply to
M_P

Every single one of them? Can you provide any reason to believe that?

Your Creator gave you everything you have and everything you are.

You think your Creator sets the bar that low: spend it however you want, just don't steal it?

I believe nobody on earth gave it to you and you didn't steal it.

Try this on for size: I'm opposed to government redistribution of wealth.

Reply to
M_P

You are sitting in a house with electricity, running water etc. etc. and typing all this stuff on a personal computer, while 50% of the earth's population can barely feed themselves on a daily basis- how do you reconcile that ?

Reply to
JimInsolo

There are (at least) two problems with that reasoning:

  • The necessities that those with unmet basic needs could have purchased with that money are also made by people with families to feed.

true enough, however the costs of living where lurury automobiles are made are, generally higher than where people with unmet basic needs live.

  • At best, that's an argument for not participating in a sudden mass rush out of the luxury car market, since only such a spike would leave workers without employment alternatives. Since there's no realistic chance of such a sudden mass rush, your logic fails.

no, my logic stands. and speaking of realistic chances, since I don't believe in a Biblical style creator, certainly not some flea bitten guy in a flowing robe and a long beard who appears to people in the desert there's not much chance I'll be standing before him, is there?

Reply to
Low Life #3

Wow, what a question. Here is a simple answer.

I will only be able to answer to one of my creators, as my mother is dead. My father, however, the remaining creator, works hard, enjoys some luxuries, provides housing and opportunities across an array of incomes (from subsidized/HUD to high-end). He's pretty proud that he has a pair of college graduates for kids who put themselves through school (no help from him), one who provides a fantasti home for 4 kids and a husband, both of those work very hard in their city helping causes, charities, etc.

Myself, the other college grad forwent his engineering degree to turn to financial services where I help people build the wealth that will see them through retirement without ending up homeless, and all the whlie protecting their families against fiscal devestation should one die. I'm actually going to a funeral tomorrow eve for one of my clients who would have been left a penniless mom with two young teenage daughters were it not for the services I guided them through.

I sleep quite well at night. I know my two creators are proud of me. I know that I do a good thing and yes, I enjoy a few luxuries while I am alive and able to do so. I don't look down on others, I would happily lend a helping hand, but I do not give to organized fraud....errr..Charities the way my sister does. I help people directly through mentoring and the occasional financial help.

I am not the least bit religious but just as the organized brainwashing books would have you believe, I also believe in doing right by other people. I watch choices. If you make bad ones, don't expect me to bail you out. If you have opportunities and let them slide by or procastinate until it's too late, don't come after me for help or my tax dollars. That's YOUR fault. Again, I sleep quite well at night knowing that I *DO* make a significant difference in peoples lives when they need it the most.

What, might I ask, do YOU do besides sit back in the comfort of your own home typing on that luxurious computer (82% of the worlds population can't afford them you know) and try to judge others without any background at all? That, my dear M_P, might be an interesting response to read...

Reply to
adventuremyk

Both of which contribute to my physical health. Can that be said of a luxury car vs. a less expensive car?

Which I don't own.

Is that what you'll tell your Creator: "I think M_P did it too"?

Reply to
M_P

If you're right, you're covered.

Is that the case for all those with unmet basic needs?

Who said anything about tax dollars.

You've made at least two false assumptions there ... and, as they say, made an ass of u not me.

I do my best not to judge ... and it's not *my* judgment anyone should worry about.

What "background" do you suppose I need? Does anyone require a luxury car for, say, medical reasons?

Reply to
M_P
.

Which proves what?

I've argued why it doesn't ... 'nuh-uh' is not a rebuttal.

The question is not whether you believe in Him but whether He believes in you.

Reply to
M_P

Do you wet your bed every night?

Which is how you got the money. What about how you used it?

Non sequitur.

Reply to
Joe Gliebe

Which I don't own.

Reply to
JimInsolo

OH by the way, forgot to ask, at what point in life did you fail, an am I, or others, responsible for you failing? Get a life, get a job, get real, and quit blaming others for all your woes. You must be a joy to be around!

Which is how you got the money. What about how you used it?

Non sequitur.

Reply to
Joe Gliebe

I didn't.

No.

Already done.

Where did I say I have any woes, much less blame anyone for them? Looks like I hit a nerve.

.
Reply to
M_P

How would my refusing to ride in a luxury car give me any extra resources to help any needy person?

I see you deleted my question: "Can that [contributes to my physical health] be said of a luxury car vs. a less expensive car?"

Reply to
M_P

Perhaps even more opportunities. Can you provide any reason to believe that?

Who? WHO? creator? Like in a fiction story author?

Who's this creator dude? Got an address on him? Bet he has money? Why doesn't he support 'his' poor? He created 'em right? What the f*ck is wrong with him, anyway? Creates poor and then expects *me* to pay for his fuckups?

Well that's a plus.

That's a start. Feel free to give whatever you want to anyone you want. Just don't expect others to live life the way you do.

Reply to
PeterD

My creators are no longer alive. I won't leave this earth, I may however be chemically converted by flames / worms or whatever.

Reply to
IB