mercedes or porsche?

what car is better, mercedes or porsche?

Reply to
PABLUX

BMW

Reply to
Paul Spencer

Ha! I just test drove a loaded-out X5 4.4i; the Cayenne, the VW Toureag and the Volvo XC90 T6 are all superior vehicles. The 3-series is nice but there are obvious reasons why a 911 is more expensive (although the less expensive A4 has a nicer interior) and MB sedans, even if less sporty, are always nicer inside than a 5 or 7 series. The slowly deteriorating quality of BMW's interiors has been cited by many auto mags. Porsche and MB both build such an amazingly high quality vehicle that picking which is "better" is simply a matter of opinion. Both are fantastic buys, although (with the exception of the SL Roadsters) I'm always partial to Porsche. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Just get an early 90s 500E and split the difference. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Hyundai

Reply to
Devils944S2

I just gave a random answer to a stupid question. Probably a troll, and not a very good one.

I had a 928 (S4) and loved it, then an SLK (320) and hated it. So I tried an M3, 911 and Boxster S and bought the Boxster. No regrets.

Reply to
Paul Spencer

Minivan

;^)

Reply to
rory911

Porsche, there is NO substitute...

Reply to
kk

Jaguar

Reply to
van Gogh
1984 928S with 85,180 miles! Black-on-black with the autostick that is just too fast and sticks better than ANY glue! Too much fun for me!

Any offers?

Roger L>

Reply to
Success-Productions

"Success-Productions" wrote in message news:RZ_5d.40347$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...

"autostick"?

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

I believe in the early90's it was the 430E?

Reply to
Steve n Holly

seconded !

Reply to
Adrian Jaye

Nope, it was 500E for the first couple of years, E500 after Mercedes changed their model-naming scheme to put the car "class" indicator first. See:

Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I've never had the chance to ride in or drive one, but I did get to sit in a

500E. It's still a nice car, and I almost prefer the styling of that generation E-Class to the current one, especially the interior. And just knowing that a Porsche-Tuned engine was under the hood made me want the thing even more. It's to bad that I just can't really get into the newer AMG stuff. In fact, the new SL500/600/55 is the only car in Mercedes lineup I really like. However, I hear that the 6-cylinder that powered the original AMG version of the C-Class was a great engine. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman

I was darned close to getting a 500E, and still might as the GF really wants me to own another 4-seater since I sold my Rolls, and the revelation to me was not so much the power but the handling. Porsche made what looked like a luxo-barge as tossable as my 928, which was quite an achievement in my opinion. The 500E is why I wish Porsche had made a performance sedan rather than the Cayenne when they decided to expand the model line - I *know* it would have been a phenomenal car. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I'd love to own en E500. But with used M3 sedans and B5 S4's avaliable at reasonable prices, I'm not sure I'd rather have one of those. I guess an RS6 or a 2005 E55 would be my first choices if I were buying a really hot sports sedan, but now we're talking spending over $80k.

I think it came down to marketing. As hard as the idea of a Porsche SUV is to swallow, I think it's a much easier vehicle for Porsche to market and sell than a sedan, considering the current market and the popularity of such vehicles. Remember that Porsche has closely examined the idea of a sedan at least twice, and the one they "mocked up" during the late 1980s looked eeriely similar to what ended up being the 996.

Hell yea. But consider the competition. A Porsche sedan would fall into a segment also occupied by the BMW M5, Audi S6/RS6 and Mercedes E55 AMG. And there's only so much room in the world for sports sedans with $60 to $80k price tags. Even though practically everyone else makes an SUV, it's such a popular segement right now that Porsche knew they could find room. However, I must admit that one of the things I dream about VW/Audi doing with the C1 platform they've got from Maserati is letting Porsche use a modified version for a sedan. I've also thought that a "downsized" version paired with VW's 3.2 VR6 would make a great way to re-introduce the Corrado...Oh, to dream... Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

what a bunch of wankers !!!

Reply to