Mobil1 0W40 Synthetic?

Car is 01' Boxster S with the 3.2 L engine. The dealer is using Mobil1 0W40 Synthetic for engine oil. I'm doing my own oil changes and curious what other people / dealers use. I live in Virginia, DC area and the car is primarily a weekend driver (21K miles)

Reply to
Tony

My '02 Carrera with the 3.6 came from the factory with Mobil 1 0-40. Check your owner's manual and use what it recommends weight-wise.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

An old question and you'd see plenty of past dialogue on the subject in this group. Mobil 1 is everywhere out there. That said, I use Redline

10-40. As I am sure others will pop in, I'll say that I think it and the Kendall synth are probably the best.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

A heads up to anyone considering changing to synthetic oil. It's great, I used Red Line in my race cars and it really did make a difference. Having said that, synth oil probably shouldn't be used in higher mileage cars that haven't been using it all along. I has a tendency to leak out of worn seals (at least that was the case 20 years ago.) If that's changed, ignore me.

Reply to
wtrplnet

I had a 1987 924S with most of the seals replaced. My mechanic told me it was OK to use Mobil 1 in the engine (194K miles). Shortly after I put the synthetic in, the Rear Main Seal started seeping--hadn;t done so previously.

The mechanic was great as he had "guaranteed" no leaks, we worked on the RMS and he only charged me the cost of the seal. Car ran perfectly after that.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

As you've noted, everyone's got an opinion. The newer engines are machined with computer precision and need less "break-in", plus the manufacturers want maximum gas mileage. Lower weight oils mean less friction...which means slightly better mileage. The local dealers follow the company line...and use 0W40; however, in our hot climate (Houston), most independents use either Mobil 1 5W40, 10W40 or 15W50.

In your climate, I think you'd be safe with the 0W40 for spring thru fall, but you should have no problem with 10W40 either. I'd consider using 0W40 in the winter...as you all actually get some cold weather occasionally.

Regards from Texas...

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Car is 01' Boxster S with the 3.2 L engine. The dealer is using Mobil1 0W4

Synthetic for engine oil. I'm doing my own oil changes and curious wha other people / dealers use. I live in Virginia, DC area and the car i primarily a weekend driver (21K miles if thats the "viscosity that the manufacture recommends" then use it! heres a

5 houre 10,000 RPM!! torture test that was performed on a nascar engine using a mobile1 Racing ow30 oil!!!
;) ;

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from