More battery thoughts

Greeting to friends and neighbors, Well, I've read the recent battery posts, and I'm posed with purchasing a new battery for the 993. I've diagnosed the current OEM unit with Dead Cell disease. I really have a problem with putting just _any_ battery in to replace it. This sickly battery has a vent tube off the top. Most batteries that I see these days don't have this feature. This seems somewhat important to me. I am about to spend $120 US at the dealer for an OEM battery, but I have one dealer telling me they have a 75 amp battery and another dealer saying they have 70 AND 80 amp units. The latter dealer thought it to be the 70 amp battery. Which is the right battery? I'm not in front of the failed battery at the moment, but I'll call the house to see what it is..... [phone call and dialogue ensues] ( I now believe it to be a 75 amp). P/N: 999-611-075-07 manufactured by Douglas. I believe it to be the original battery. At eight years, that's pretty damn good longevity. Batteries are typically rated to last four or five years. So, ultimately I've decided to spend double in order to get a Porsche OEM battery. The vent tube and the quality of the Douglas batteries have me sold. I now feel within the comfort zone with this decision rather than just blindly picking. The up-front cost is higher, but after all, it is my money (till I hand it over).

I hope my blathering helped somebody else as much as it did me. Happy Holidaze!

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Hay DS-

I've been wonder'n where youv'e been? Anyway.......Have you thought about an Optima 75/35-925 battery? Lots of folks over on "Rennlist" use and swear by them. They are about 12lbs. lighter, last 3/4 times longer and the big plus....it's a dry cell. Pep-Boys or Cosco around $100. Take Care.

Regards, Steve aka pcarfan

Reply to
Steve

Does the this Optima bat. also fit in a 964?

LH

Reply to
LH

And I was curious to know if it fit a 993 cleanly without any mods. Dunno yet, but they didn't list a model

for my car specifically, but I trust Steve's recommendation. It'll wait till next time since I've purchased a Moll battery already. It's a 70 amp unit and is the current Porsche OEM supplier.
I'll likely try the Optima next go round.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator