Paint

Boy, not many people around here lately.

Anyway, I just dropped off my 911 at Maaco for a paint job. Yeah, I know, but it's not a show car and it was in desperate need of new paint. Also, I did not go for the cheapo job and I've heard that if you are willing to pay for it they can do a very good job on most primo cars. A friend used to take his Mercedes there and it looked pretty damn good except for the rust he had them paint over.

What I don't understand is why the better body shops in the area will not paint a car, and when you get a ding in a fender they will only work on that fender, make it nice and shiny, and absolutely refuse to paint the rest of the car to match -- "Just keep going around the car once you start painting."

Furthermore, I cannot get a decent explanation as to why they won't do it. What's the story?

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Maaco....... Just curious, what are you paying?

One of the shops close to me said they'd never work on anything past 10 years old. So, I did the work myself. Probably too mush hassle matching paint, or something.

Maybe it's just too much work and doesn't have a nice tidy profit margin. Some shops only want insurance work.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

I'm paying about $2500. Had a long talk with them before they started, and the car is getting a lot of prep work. Also replacing the "smile." The paint will be the Supreme job, one from the top. It's a single stage. I've seen too many clear coat jobs peel off, so I'm going with the single stage.

I'll report back on this thread and let you know how it turned out. The guy seemed to be honest and straight with me, and told me not to expect "perfect," but it will look really good.

I'm "assuming" most people just bring the car in, never talk about prep, and they pretty much just spray over the crappy paint that's on the car when they bring it in. Shiny, but cheap.

Can't wait to see it, but still pissed I couldn't get a local body shop to do it.

Sheldon '79 911SC

Reply to
Sheldon