Painting numbers.

I'm participating in a PCA-sponsored drivers' education course at the Talladega racetrack next month. (Not racing ed, just driving ed.) They say I have to "put" my assigned car number on both doors and the hood, in numbers 12 inches high and in a contrasting color.

Does anyone have any experience with how to do this without harming the paint? I suppose white shoepolish would do it, but I worry about damage to the finish.

Car is a 2001 911 coupe, silver.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Morgan

If you want to be fancy, then get vinyl numbers. I do. Got my last set here:

Check the rules for sizes and sets you'll need. 12" is pretty big. Sometimes three sets are needed.

Otherwise get some masking tape. The blue 3M stuff releases the best but any masking tape will do.

Shoe polish in the liquid applicator is tried-and-true. Eraseable markers for glass will let you put them on your windows.

Get the decals. You won't look like a newbie...in the pits. ;)

Mike Morgan wrote:

Reply to
someone

Common "Contac Paper" shelf liner works great. I used it on my 911 many times without damage to the paint. (I'd avoid the floral print style!)

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet