porsche 911 colors: 993 vs 996

to porsche nuts only: let me know if you agree(or disagree) with me on these Porsche 911 Turbo colors...

for the 993 Turbo black looks good, but not so much in yellow. black really compliments the mean, rigid, evilish-look of the 993 turbo's body frame.

for the 996 Turbo, yellow looks much better than black. yellow looks good on roundish cars - like the 996 porsche and vw bettle; yellow looks very personable. but that's only limited to those type of cars, on anything else - yellow looks simply obnoxious.

red doesn't look good on neither version - red looks best on big, angular/linear cars, like the corvette and ferrari

silver metallics looks ok/good on both the 993 and 996 turbos

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

Yellow is horrible on any car. It screams early 90's and is simply a fad color.

Red, Black and White are classic, but don't always fit.

The mettalics are all the rage now, and look good as well.

Reply to
Devils944S2

certainly you can't say yellow looks horrible on the Gallardo...afterall that's its stock color (i personally couldn't imagine the Gallardo in any other color; it just wouldn't seem fit). yellow is not a fad color, it's just a relatively wacky color to use for a car - so hence you rarely see it. that's not to say or imply it's a fad though

mettalics seems so generic now for modern car colors - every new car is some shade of metallic, blah compared to colors, metalics looks like an empty blank canvas - doesn't have much of a personality

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

I'm with Devil; while speed yellow can look good on some models, it's a fad that comes and goes. I see yellow, orange, and bright green

- like the current GT3RS press cars - and I think "70s." That's not always bad, as in this case they're trying to hark back to the bright

70s Porsche colors. But a lot of those colors don't work on cars nowadays, mostly due to the lack of contrasting trim on modern cars - no chrome, or black rubber, no Fuchs, no metal grille. Those elements help the cars carry off such bright shades. There's also a more practical reason - eye-catching colors and high speed = police attention. epbrown
Reply to
E Brown

and I think "70s." That's not always bad

seems to me I've seen some 70's 911's in a really turd brown color.

Reply to
Low Life #3

Arena Red. Simply beautiful.

Reply to
Vball23

Agree --- look at the advertisements where the colors are picked by pros to appeal to hte greatest number of possible buyers:

Arena Red was in many of the 993T posters and advertisesments

Silver (Polar?) was in others.

Don't recall seeing may yellow/blue/green cars in the ads.

Reply to
Mat

I have to agree with that Arena Red, but only on the 993 TT.

My 930T is a prussian or coppenhagen blue. It's dark blue in the light and black in the shade or night. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

Although, back in the day that lime green looked good on a 914. And that brownish creme color looked good on the 912.

Reply to
JC Castle

arena red is the exception, ok - the 993T looks good in arena red, aka maroon.

i was referring to red red that the turbo doesn't look that good in

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

How about the worst interior. I've looked a few 993TTs to buy but I will not buy one with that simply horrific lipstick or blood red interio. I'm sorry, but I would just end up wanting to kill someone after 30 minutes in that.

Reply to
JC Castle

I looked at a Silver 928 with the lipstick red interior. It was hideous and overpowering, looked like a cheap leather coat knockoff. I'm not a big fan of Pasha (sp) either, too psychadelic.

Reply to
Vball23

I've seen the 'blue belt' interior on the Arena Red cars, and it looks pretty darn classy.

The 'blue belt' had gray below the belt line, and dark blue above (e.g. dash, headliner, some had gray steering wheels, other blue).

google '993 interior' in the images --- and a blue belt comes up as the first image found

Agree that the lipstick can be over-powering, I saw it on a 993 Turbo S and thought it had 'jumped the shark' (red leather covered air vents with stitching).

Reply to
Mat

I think the popularity of the metallic colors stems from the fact that the auto manufacturers are using them in all of their advertising. They photo the cars in these colors because no other color shows off the lines of the car so well. Red actually camoflauges the lines of the car. Black is very reflective, therefore, showing off the surroundings of the car more than the car itself. White highlights the contrast of the trim and windows as does yellow.

Silver is actually the ideal color to show off the rounded curves of todays autos. To get my point, take pictures of identical cars in different colors and compare them side by side. I'm sure you'll find the silver or metallic colors better reflect the curves of the car, not just our beloved Porsches, but any car.

Just my $.02 worth.

Reply to
Fred Aston