Porsche 928 in Risky Business

In the movie Risky Business, Joel's father owns a Porsche 928. I've always wondered if the 928 in that movie was supposed to be a lemon or just have mechanical problems. In the movie, there are about three scenes I can think of where the 928 appears to have some problems.

  1. When Joel and his friend Barry take out the 928, the 928 stalls as they are backing out of the garage. Joel has to restart it giving it a lot of gas. Why did it stall?

  1. When Joel and Lana are confronted by Guido at the restaurant, Joel tries to start the 928, but it doesn't want to start. Finally, it starts after many attempts.

  2. During the scene where Joel, Lana, and Miles are being car chased by Guido, you see a fresh puddle of oil? left behind when they speed off at the red light.

Were 928's really that problematic?

Reply to
Mr. D.

You do know that Mr. Ed didn't really talk, right?

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

Oh shit... All these years I thought Mr Ed really did talk. Are you telling me Santa is not real also?

Reply to
Mark

What does that have to do with my question?

Reply to
Mr. D.

Pehaps he needs help working a clutch?

Perhaps the movie needed some tension at that point?

You are thinking of the early boxters, those leaked, not the 928s.

No.

Bernard '84 928s, 220,000 miles later, NOW it leaks some.

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Joel can't drive a stick.

Creative screenwriting.

AC condensation.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

They put peanut butter on his gums.

Dramatic tensi>

Reply to
someone

Just flippantly meaning that you shouldn't really put so much faith in what Hollywood says.

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

What about the tooth fairy???

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

Much like the 944 in Sixteen Candles that Anthony Michael Hall can't drive because it is a stick, yet clearly it is an automatic given the fact that Jake pulls the "stick" back to put it into gear with Molly Ringwald in the car.

Pure Hollywood.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Nor dos a 928 sounds suspiciously like a Ferrari. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I've must have watched this movie about a hundred times, and I always thought the 928 in the movie had mechanical problems (or at least I thought that was the writer's/director's intention). I hope I did not come off as a troll, I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity...

Reply to
Mr. D.

It's just a movie bud. Like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the Ferrari never sputters, stalls out or breaks down once. Sort of un-Ferrari-like in my experience. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I've never owned a 928 but I can say If you check out the discussion groups @

you'll find that shark drivers are some of the most loyal & fanatical P-car owners ever created......Having said that, I thought the remark by CJS was very, very Funny :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Merci!