Porsche announces 997 Targa

Porsche has offically uveiled the 997 Targa, although there's nothing conceptually new about it, it's still cool. The big news to me is that the first Targas will be "Targa 4" units based on the standard (non-S) Carrera 4 model, a C4 Targa hasn't been available since the 964 generation is memory serves me. Carrera, Carrera S and C4S based models will more than likely become available over time, but I'm personally hoping to see a Targa Turbo as well. You can see the car here:

Filmophile

Think I prefer my C4C to a targa.

Reply to
J. Doh

That's why they sell both bud.

Reply to
Filmophile

Reply to
Regal53

I've heard that older "G Series" and 964 platform Targas have problems with seals wearing around the top, but that's to be expected - the seals are rubber and will eventually erode. But have the "glass canopy"

993 and 996 Targas really been all that much trouble? I've never spoken to a 996 Targa owner who'd mentioned any serious issues with the top.
Reply to
Filmophile

I've spoken to a couple of 996 Targa owners at PCA events, and they love the roofs. It apparently makes detailing in the rear seat area a lot easier than with a coupe. They've no gripes with the fit/seal, but the cars are relatively new.

One guy did mention not being enamored of the Targa weighing 150 pounds more due to the roof, all of it located up high where it does nothing good for the car's roll center......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

For me, that's the main deterrant in regards to the Targa. I feel similarly about the Boxster and 911 Cabrio - I'd rather do without the added weight and flex that come with having an open top. These are sports cars, and although I know that a "sporty roadster" is the idea of perfection for some drivers, I'd rather not make the associated compromises - same goes for the weight added by the Targa system. IMO,

911s should be fixed roof and RWD. I like the idea of the 911 Turbo as a very higb performance "every day" sports car that isn't put off by rain, but the purity of the 911 GT3 is what I want when it's really time to thrash around a track or cut loose down the local canyon road.
Reply to
Filmophile

When we ordered our 2002 Carrera there was never any doubt about it being a

  1. We would have checked the "delete sunroof" option but the dealer warned that would probably push the build date toward the end of the run, and he was already predicting a March delivery (for an early September order).

We got lucky - the car ended up being built on October 17, passed inspection and was delivered to the boat for shipping on the 18th, and we picked it up at our local dealer on December 11.

The new Turbo with the Tip S is quicker than a manual, and with the sport-chrono package gets 10 seconds of overboost and will get to 60 quicker than a Carrera GT. Pretty serious straight line punch. And the new GT3 apparently gets PASM which makes it more liveable on the street while retaining the track goods.

Reply to
Jim Keenan