put fuchs on, now have a question..

I replaced my phone dials with a set of 15" x7/8 fuchs last weekend (kept the same tires) and now above 40mph I get a ton of tire/road noise, the drone is so bad I have to turn the radio way up so it doesn't drive me nuts. Also, at 70+ mph I get a lot of vibration and shaking in the steering wheel. Both of these problems didn't exist before I changed rims. I'm hoping that the tires are just improperly balanced or something so I don't have to live with this. Any ideas? Car is a 1986 944 n/a

Reply to
P.

I can't recall, but did you check to see if the offset on the Fuchs is the same as your old wheels?

Did your tire shop take care to install the tires on the same side as they were mounted before? If not, that would definitely cause a lot of road noise.

And...of course, basic balancing must be on spec...especially with Fuchs as they are forged, and don't damp any road shock transmitted thru the tires as some "softer" cast wheels could. (Very small point anyway)

Hope this helps...

Reply to
Guru

I believe this is it. They rotated them because there was some cupping. Will the noise go away as they start to wear more? They also lost a weight which caused the pulsing.

Reply to
P.

Honestly....very hard to say if the tires will "wear even". You and your tire shop will be the first to know. Radial tires do not like to be worn in turning in one direction and reversed. Of course, if the tire shop mounted them "inside out", it can be made to work.

After you've had some experience with this set up, let us know how things work out.

If you keep having trouble...and you think it's "wheel" oriented, contact Wheel Enhancement. They are experts in Porsche wheel/tire combinations. Have all your wheel and tire sizes, brands, etc on hand before you call them.

BTW: All weights on Fuchs wheels "should" be taped on the inside of the wheel.

Reply to
Guru

I doubt that further tire wear will smooth out cupping.

The tires may get quieter, or noisier.

What brand of tires are they? New?

I'd take the car to a different sh>

Reply to