Re: 71 911T will not turn over...

I'm desperate... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

Could a bad CD box make the starter not turn over? I had an issue where > on warm up the car would load up and I'd have to pull over... It happened > and I tapped on the CD box because I replaced all the cheap easy stuff and > that was the next place to start... Not sure if it is related, but now > when I turn the key, nothing happens. The batteries are new and charged. > I hear the fuel pump and the CD box does whistle, but nothing further - > starter does not click or turn... > > What can I test? How can I test the CD box? Any information would be > great... Thanks. >
Reply to
DAS

I also have a '71 911T Targa. So, I have a Clymer & Haynes manuals. Neither referenced the CDS box as having any kind of interlock to the starter. It sounds like you CD Box is ok. Possible problems are: the starter, the ignition switch, broken cables. If it is a Sportmatic, not a 901 transaxle, fault could also be in the neutral indicator switch. With the headlights on, do they stay bright as you attempt to start? If yes or slightly dim, jumper the 2 larger terminals on the starter (I would recommend a remote starter switch which you can get at any auto parts store). If the starter cranks normally, fault most likely is from the solenoid to the ignition switch, inclusive. If they dim drastically, the starter has a short in it. It will have to be removed and tested to determine what needs replacement. Hope this helps.

Reply to
BH(Email_blocked_due_to_spam

I would check the earth strap from the transmission to the chasssis, if this is broken or corroded the starter will not turn as the engine and transmission will be eletrically isolated from the rest of the vehicle. It would match your symptoms.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hall

The lights do dim when the key is turned. I connected a remote starter and hear a motor hum (solenoid??) but the starter does not engage the flywheel... I connected the remote starter leads to the main posts on the solenoid (not the small clip on connectors). Any ides for further tests I can do?

Reply to
DAS

Checked the earth strap... it is connected and in tact. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
DAS

At this point, I'd remove the starter and take it to a parts store I trust to test it. To me, it sounds like the starter has gone out. But with it tested off the vehicle, you would verify it is the problem and won't have to spend time chasing through the electrical system. If need, Pelican Parts has a good color schematic online at:

is a lot easier to follow than the black and white version I have in the 2 manuals.

Reply to
BH(Email_blocked_due_to_spam

I had exactly the same problem with my 930,

  1. make sure the battery terminals are tightened up and not just finger tight
  2. check the electrical connection to the starter; if the nut on the large positive lead is not tight you will get this problem.
  3. Did you replace the bolts on the clutch pressure plate? If you did they may be a a bit long and preventing the flywheel from turning.
  4. Pull the plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand
  5. See if the starter will turn the engine over without the plugs in
  6. Try a fresh battery.
  7. If the starter does not click I would suspect the starter solenoid, check the lectrical connection to it and make sure you have not swapped them over. You can remove the starter from the transmission and see if it turns when you turn the key. (You neet to have it chassis grounded)

Thats all I can think of, my problem was a combination of 2 and 3.

Reply to
Steve Hall

Did some more testing today... Found everything below to be ok... Put a test light on the solenoid and had someone turn the key, did not see power to the second post... The first post has power all the time. Is there an easy way to test the ignition switch? I looked under the dash and the ignition switch has a bundle of wires that pin plug that plugs into the back of the dash through to the hood. How do you test the ignition switch to the solenoid?

Reply to
DAS

I had this problem on my 71 911T. It was the ignition switch. I put a small microswitch just under the dash knee pad and tapped into the wires, as opposed to replacing the whole ignition switch. I did it so long ago I forgot how I tested for the problem then, I probably took the connector off the back of the switch and tested the terminals using the schematic.

My friend had this same problem on his 73 911T. It turned out to be a corroded connector on the left side of the engine compartment where the engine wire harness plugs in. This would be another good place to check for voltage when the key is turned. I also seem to remember that there is single, possibly yellow wire, accessible from inside the trunk, just on the other side of the firewall from the key switch area. It has an inline spade connector and I believe this carries the voltage from the start switch to the engine connector. Check that it is not disconnected or check for voltage there. Or put voltage there and see if it cranks.

jk

Reply to
jk

Thanks for the info, I look further. I really need to get this working so I can take it to the 2005 Porsche Parade in Hershey PA - this is only 20 minutes from my house -I'm very lucky this year!!! Any additional comments, even if just suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
DAS