Re: mileage difference

In buying a 944, is there going to be a big difference in a car with say

> 90,000 miles copared to one with maybe 120,130k+? When i mean difference, I > mean is there going to be a lot more wear on the higher mileage engines? One > thing that bothers me is a engine thats lost its power and compression. > Thanks for the advice. >

It depends a lot on what sort of mileage. If it has done 130k of just cruising along, then that is a lot better than 90k of hard city driving.

If in doubt you can always do a compression test on all the cylinders before buying, it doesn't take that long and will immediately reveal any serious engine trouble.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Dennis, Properly maintained, the 944 engine is bulletproof. I let my 1984 go with 186K on the clock and it still was running as smoothly as the day I got it. It had a compression check at around 165K and was 99% in 2 cylinders and

Reply to
Devils944

How about the quality of life ???? Oh wait, I know, you had them all compression checked and they were all as good as the 944 previously mentioned.

Wait...that is not fair. The odometer stays the same on an Escort even though engine fires have required several replacements. 3 engines at 200K don't count.

commercially-used Dodge vans out there with 300,000 to 500,000 miles on the original engines because in that environment they are always at operating temperature and rarely shut off.>

What in the f*ck does a commercial van have to do with a sportscar ? This is why I always make you look so silly Brad. Really, Think about it, what the f*ck do these two things have in common ?

Oh and a correction : Don't mind me. Just poking fun at Devils944 for making me look like such a big-mouth idiot in the past.

Once again, I ask, if you hate Porsches so much why are you here ? The answer is simple.... But I do LOVE when you attack me personally, I feed off of it, because besides Porsches, I love making you look stupid and once again....success ! (with ease I might add !)

Reply to
Devils944

There is more than just a little truth to highway miles being "better" than city miles, just as there is more than a little truth to the belief that leaving a machine running is better than frequent starts and stops.

In fact, a PROPERLY maintained machine can run forever.

Take for example US Naval vessels. Some of the ships in the fleet are several decades old, with untold hundreds of thousands, if not millions of nautical miles, and they're still going strong.

By the same token, I've served on more than one ship that at one point had some form of casualty that was not properly repaired (USS Belknap is a prime example), and the ship was never really "right" from then on. To use this ship as an example, her engineering plant ran a lot better during 6 month deployments than it did during short training operations.

As with any mechanical device, what the machine is supposed to do, and how that machine is treated have a huge impact on the machine's longevity.

Reply to
Porsche944

HI,

yes Highway/motorway miles are better for your car. however a few points

1> ANY well / properly maintained car will last longer: BY that specially on Porsches, making sure that evrything need to be done are, offical parts, competant engineers. 44 engines are again bullet proof, untill a belts snaps then its opppps time ! Also I've found (again from sheer experience) that keeping the car standard where it counts can cause you less problems in the long run. Previous cars I've modded to the max, and had nothing but premature failure and road test/MOT tests fail the car. past 2 years my 44 has passsed with flying colours.

2> Millage: Any car which is regulalry driven, and driven so that the engine acheives operating tempreature will last a lot longer than a garage queen or a car that left to stand for years in mesuem conditions. Cars are ment to be drivenm, they simply last longer

3> Town driving: stop/start journey will cause more wear than highway driving but as long as the engine gets to operating temp this is not a problem

4> garage queens: No dont start/run the car for 5 mins every few weeks, result knacked engine

5> fluids regular fluid changes (done correctly ask if you dont know - I'll expand I found a fool proof way) will hwlp no end, you can not overdo any fluid changes, oil, hydralics,water etc

laterz

________________________________________________ Webpage

Adrian AT Playback DOT demon.co.uk SPAM, What SPAM ? Anti-SPAM software in use "SPAM-BUSTER"

"Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

------------ Looking to talk to a decent group of people who are mad about Porsches But who are not anoraks. Whether you're a Porsche Virgin or a seasoned veteran.

Pop on over to "Not Just Porsche" E-group

Post message: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Adrian Jaye

What does what I drive have to do with anything? All it does is let people such as yourself become brand-snobs. Let's say I don't own any cars and take the bus everywhere. What does that have to do with you being a Porsche snob who accuses me of hating Porsches simply because I don't bow down to them as the only good car ever made like you do? Or, let's say I've owned a turbo 944 and have driven a couple 911s on a regular basis. Now what? What difference does it make? Nothing changes -- you're still a moron.

Uhhh, maybe. Are you trying to hide something? We were talking about

944s. I asked you if yours was turbocharged. You brought it up, so tell us if your 186k mile 944 was turbocharged.

You are truly a buffoon. The guy asks about a high-mileage Porsche. You go on about how Porsches are "bulletproof." I say he shouldn't be scared of high mileage simply because it's high mileage and mention

500,000 mile Dodge vans, not only to help him out but also to show you there are other supposedly "bulletproof" engines out there with high miles. You then attack me. Porsche944 then agrees with me on the mileage issue, which was my point in the first place. You then continue to be an idiot as usual. The mileage issue is what they have in common. Moron.

Do a dejanews search. If you can't find them, then you are either blind, stupid, or your hatred is so great that you ignore the truth. I think it's probably a combination of all three. If you want me to do the work and link them from dejanews, then rest assured I will NEVER let you forget that you are a lying piece of shit.

Reply to
Brad