Re: V8 Conversion Question

Apparently it's simple to all of us who choose Porsche over that great value Corvette. If the bottom line is all that counts, then hop out of your Corvettes and into Mustang Cobras, which are cheaper still.

Corvette actually came in first in JD Power "Initial Quality" surveys for a couple of years, just ahead of the Carrera. Then JD Power came out with their "Long Term" reliability survey and the Corvette fell off the map. The Carrera was first, Honda S2000 second and Boxster third.

I willingly spent more for my Porsche because I admire the marque and its history, I like the engineering and build quality, and I like not meeting a car just like mine around every corner, among other things. Cost was not a factor for me, although it is for others.

Porsche IS nice, but for some reason Chevyphiles have to make global, subjective statements like "a Z06 will blow your car away in acceleration, cornering and braking" when the objective facts are otherwise. And the "cheaper and faster" line has been discussed ad nauseum in this group myriad times before. People don't buy high end sports cars based entirely on the bottom line. "Cheaper and faster" is one factor, but it is not the only factor.

There's no doubt a Z06 accelerates to 60 mph and through the quarter mile quicker than a base Carrera. With an 85 HP advantage, it should. Engine displacement is the reason Corvettes and Carreras race in different classes.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a Corvette owner at the track (PCA DE) a while back. His preped Z06 (or whatever, didn't ask) was really quick and admittedly a lot faster than my decades-old 928. But he marvelled at the fact that so many Porsche owners would drive their cars to and from the track and often hundreds of miles. I was 300 miles from home and driving it hard every session. He said he'd never consider not trailering his car as the 'vette would likely need work after every weekend.

The point being this:

Matching numbers like the trade rags do is only the start of what you're getting. A Porsche is a different breed of car made to run at the limit for years.

Click this:

G Larson

Look what NG you are in. It is the Chevy owners who come in here who tout their "fine products" and how much money they saved. If you don't want to hear Chevy getting ripped on, stay out of a Porsche group with all of this "Chevy superiority" talk. It is not just interiors that make the Porsche more expensive. You have exterior fit and finish and limited number of builds that factor in. It bears repeating, there are more Corvettes alone than there are all Porsches every built...combined. A mass producer will always be cheaper. Like I said earlier, the Chevy engineers would like to answer the quality gripes and bring the Corvette up to supercar status, but they know that it pushes the bottom line up a whole bunch and would take out their intended market. C&D did a whole article on it.

Reply to
Devils944

Still the Z06 will eat a base 911 Carrera. It will not blow away a 911 Turbo and cost is Always a consideration if it wasn't then many cars would eat the Porsches as well as the Chevys. Plus as I pointed out you can easily build the Chevy for the same money where the Porsche would not be able to go. Ruf has to use the narrow Porsches to get the top speed out of them and they do not have a lot of stability at 200 mph.

Not at all. When you look at buying a car and these are just for fun cars and not daily drivers. Cost is a factor not the be all and end all as you are twisting it into. Some of us own houses and have kids to put through college as well as other bills and for me to personally justify an extra $35K for a fancy interior with less performance is absurd. But I stand by what I said yCost is a factor and you always have to consider it unless you are so wealthy that you can flush $50K down the toilet without thinking about it. Your arguement is flawed in Oh so many ways. The Subaru STI is not in the same class as a Corvette neither is a Mustang. The Z06 and the base 911 are in teh same class but not the same price range. Now what you get for the extra $35K is a fancy interior not beter performance. To me the Z06 interior is nice enough and I'd rather have the performance that sipping my latte in commuter traffic posing in my all leather and wood interior. Sports cars are about performance, Porsche may have that to a degree but there is no value to a Porsche. They gouge you for every penny.

Reply to
Shomuni

The Corvette is a great vaue, that's quite true. The bottom line is not al that counts but it is a factor when you have to actually pay for the car. I never said the bottom line was all that counts, you did. What I said is plain to see.

Regardless of what car comes in first I d not trust JD Powers Initial Quality surveys. Nor their long term surveys. If you want to preach about surveys you are talking to the wrong person. Surveys are easy to manipulate to ge the outcome you desire. You should have learned that in college.

And that's fine, I have no issue with that at all. The issues being discussed were performance per dollar. Porsche loses in that regard. They aree over priced and they under perform. They will have so much competition in the next 2-3 years that it will be interetsing to see how well they fare.

I agree with you Cheaper and faster = value and it is one factor and is not the only factor to determine what car you really want to buy. But Porschephiles always shrug off the prices as tho they didn't exist and that is disingenuous. People buy high end Mercedes as well and pay a lot more for less performance. But when you have spent twice as much and you watch the car that costs less walk away from you it does make a difference to some of us.

Exactly and the fact that it costs much more to buy the 911 says a lot about where the company puts it's money.

Reply to
Shomuni

Oh you mean like when you come into the Corvette group and rag on the Vettes? That's ok tho right? Oh and I happen to like Porsches. I've owned one in the past. a 944 Turbo. But I still think Porsche is over pricing their cars. They are nice cars but they need to put more money into performance than just the interior and I've seen the options lists for Porsche and interior pieces. Lots of overpriced doo dads for your car. Porsche hired the Japanese to come in and help them to get a handle on mass production so they might actually be able to make a profit. So Porsches are now mas produced but not on the same level as Chevy. Fit and Finish on the Corvettes is very good nowadays, but I'll give th nod to Porsche it's a bit better but the prices are also considerably higher. What they want to do is bring the Corvette up to Supercar interior status. The performance is already there. I wonder how you will counter when the new C6 Z06 has 500HP and walks away from the 911 turbo and for a barrel less money. I've read the articles and there is a lot of guessing going on on the part of the writers. You seem to define supercar by the quality of the interior, I define it by the performace the car can put out.

Reply to
Shomuni

I have never once ragged on Vettes in the Vette group. That is just plain rude. That group is for Vette owners to discuss their cars.

No, not quite, I define supercar by the sum of all of it's parts, not just what it "put's out" I have made this analogy before, I will make it again, a pro athlete is a pro athlete because he usually possesses 4 to 5 of the 5 tools necessary to play in the big leagues. If an athlete possesses only 2 or 3 of the tools necessary, he is usually a career minor leaguer that is always "missing" what is necessary to take that next step. Sure a guy may hit for power better than another guy, but if the other guys hits for average, has a great arm, speed and has great fielding ability, he will always be chosen for the big time against the guy with only slugging skills. Until Chevy makes that next step and upgrades the rest of the Corvette (Going to the 928/944 front mount engine, rear mount transaxle design and Bilstein suspension has definitely been a step in the right direction.) they will always be considered fringe cars on the supercar market. It's not a knock, it's just the way it is. Chevy knows this, they sat back and watched the ZR-1 tank in the market. They must keep the Vette cheap and plentiful or it won't move off of the lots.

As for the expensive doodads Porsche offers...If they sell them, fine. That is up to the individual owner if he wants to buy them. I could go the other way, how come if the Corvette is such a value and of such high quality, why are they deeply discounted, offered on 0% financing and come back loaded with rebates, shouldn't something so great and cheap be flying out of the lots?

You seem to define a car by one or specific areas in which it is strong, I define a car by the COMPLETE package.

Reply to
Devils944

Huh? Let me see if I have this straight. The 3.8 liter flat 6 boxer engined

911 would be considered the same class as the V-8 Z-06, yet the 5.0 liter V-8 Mustang would not be considered. The two V-8's are not more similar that the V-8 and the flat 6...yeah, makes perfect sense.

interior not beter performance.

Better fit and finish on the exterior, better resale values, etc...

Nice enough...I guess settl>

Reply to
Devils944

Yes very true but many cars crossover the lines and end up getting discussed in both groups which is cool as long as it's civil.

Your analogy is a bit flawed in that athletes are born the way they are a car is built. A purpose built race car (pointy nose) will hadily outperform 99% of all street models and with less HP de to less overall weight etc... Take that same winning race car and drive it on a normal street and it will fall apart within several miles literally. Cars that do everything well tend to not excel in any one area.

Chevy is mass produced but the 911 is as well although in lower quantity than the Corvette. The Corvette is still an ample performer and for the money will outperform the base 911 with a lot of change to spare. Porsche needs to really up the power in their cars. The use teh term evolution because they don't want to keep upping the power by large levels every year because then they'd have to move over to an 8 cyl. eventually. I do not consider a base 911 Carrera a super car in any sense of the word. The Z06 is far more super car than teh Base 911 ever will be. You also have to have the performance numbers or you are out of teh game. The Z06 has those numbers and consistantly pulls them time and time again even tho it's interior is less than spectacular.

They also have to keep it powerful as well. But I agree, very few people will overpay $85K for a Corvette. Corvettes are nothing to sneer at esp when they are passing many cars costing twice as much. I do not emphasize interior and a be all and end all criteria for a sports car.

Right now they make more cars than they do people to drive them. Trucks and SUV's right now are popular. The Corvette along with a 911 is pretty much a Toy. They are not very practical for daily use for most people. The sports car market is limited. Porsche only builds wat they can sell this keeps prices and demand up.

I define performance not just straightline but overall performance as the primary criteria for ANY sports car. If I wanted a fast Luxury car there are many of them out there but a true sports car is defined by it's performance.

Reply to
Shomuni

The SVT Mustang sure but none of teh others lets compare apples to apples and the Mustang is at a disadvantage between the 911 and the Z06. It's performance here that matters what difference does it make if it's a 6 or an 8 cyl.? Ever hear of the Buick Grand National? That was a 6 cyl.

Sorry but not $35K worth. As far as loss in it's first year let's see what Edmunds has to say. Now I am using Edmunds figures for both so the cars will be equally balanced. Also I know for a fact that getting a base 911 with no options is virtually impossible. However since Edmunds lists it that way I'll use their figures which I have found to be very accurate in the real world. So I'll use MSRP for both even tho the Z06 can be had delivered for under $50K Base 2003 Porsche 911 $85,100 Base 2003 Chevy Z06 $52,695

That's a difference of $32,405

Depreciation in 5 years

2003 Porsche 911 in it's first year loses $15,856 2003 Chevy Z06 in it's first year loses $11,856 2003 Porsche 911 in it's 5th year loses $39,433 2003 Chevy Z06 in it's 5th year loses $27,928

That means the base 911 depreciates $11,505 dollars more than a Z06 Corvette. If it had such great resale value it would not depreciate like a rock and considerably more than the Chevy in a mere 5 years. So better resale values is a myth.

See how you twist my words. Not settle I just do not see a need for a $35K interior and getting a car which has less performance and almost twice the cost. The Corvette interior is plain but comfortable and the performace is significantly more and yes that is what a sports car is all about. Performance it is not a luxury sedan where you get rosewood cupholders.

I posted that info just now so your statement is flawed.

Reply to
Shomuni

I guess we will never agree on this subject, but that's cool. It what makes us all different.

Athletes are born, but must be molded in order to get to the top level.

Yes and no...you help a car with more efficient styling, but it has more to do with what you give it to work with. The Triumph TR-7 was a very pointy car and had nothing else.

Once again depends on what you want out of a car. A car that is deficient in some areas is not very good either. There was an excellent comparo in R&T last year where they took a Corvette, 911 and NSX out to a track and let a rank amateur drive all three through a course, then a club racer and finally a professional race car driver(a Corvette race car driver, no less). They all came out with radically different times and were each categorized in all of the performance areas according to their results. The NSX ended up being the strongest in all of the handling tests and the Corvette in the speed and power areas. At the end of the test each driver had to choose a car he felt was the best all around. The amateur took the NSX, the club racer took the 911 and the race car driver took the 911. When asked, the Corvette race car driver said, (paraphrased) "While the Corvette, which I am familiar with, has the raw power and the Acura handles flawlessly, the Porsche was the best all around performer." This was a Corvette driver.

Actually not...the 911 is still largely hand built. Porsche produce only 120 units per day.

But once again, at a price. The sacrifice you make is quality and to some (such as me) that means something. American cars are making gains in this department, but are still far behind their Japanese and German contemporaries.

< Porsche needs to really up the power in their cars>

Not really. There are very few people that can handle the responsibility of

300+ horsepower and even fewer people that can actually use it or find it properly. My neighbor tried losing me on one of those circular highway entrance ramps. He outguns me by 140HP in his C5. I stuck right to his tail. He did not know how to use the power he had to properly negotiate the curve. What you conveniently forget is though the Corvettes numbers are slightly higher(very slightly) you are competing with a car with virtually the same weight, yet 33% less displacement and 25% less cylinders. Basically getting less with more.

Actually, they are going to a 10 cylinder. They have had V-8's already (928) and those were also of smaller displacement than the Chevys, yet still had

50 more horses consistently from year to year.

I agree. I reserve that for Lambo's and other exotics. It's just the term the magazine used.

< The Z06 has those numbers and consistently pulls them time and time again even tho it's interior is less than spectacular.>

Again, you and I, driving to work or out for a weekend drive with the Mrs., won't have to worry about pushing the envelope of performance, but the interior will always be there. A room at the Ritz-Carlton would be a whole different experience if they shipped in a bed from the Motel 6.

At this point in time it would be ridiculous, but, pour more quality control into the ill fitting exterior panels, give it the sports car interior it deserves, keep Impala and Malibu parts out of it. Clean up the rear end and work out the overly harsh ride and make it it's own car. Get the tests to say, this Corvette is not only powerful and handles great, but is built of the highest quality materials and the craftsmanship is outstanding. I can guarantee a higher price will not be that hard for people to swallow.

Once again, not the point. I use the analogy to death, but here it is again. You can get a steak at Ruth Chris Steakhouse and pay $40.00 for it. You will be full at the end of your meal. You can take the same $40.00 and get a two Big Mac Extra Value meals at McDonalds (still tasty) and walk away with $30.00 in your pocket. Sure you get more at McDonalds, but, is the quality the same? No, not even close. I have friends with Vettes and I don't sneer, but unlike most people who post here, they got a Vette because it was at a reasonable price, but had they had more money they would have purchased a Porsche. I, personally picked my Porsche because of past experience and how it looked. I could have had a better performing 968, but I do not like it's looks. If power were my only criteria, I would have purchased one of those little EVO's.

...and on the same hand, sheer numbers alone make a sportscar VERY incomplete. especially in the hands of an amateur like you or I.

Again, another difference. Yes I agree, they are primarily toys, but Ferry Porsche was adamant about the cars being useful everyday drivers also. The whole line is very well behaved in the daily commute. The Corvette is roundly panned in this area.

Porsche builds very few units because, one, they are a small, family owned company and two, it's all they can build with the workforce they have and three, they are still hand built cars. They don't pick up and slow down to cause price spikes. When the 944 came out in 1983, they couldn't keep up with the demand. They sold 20,000 some odd units each of those years, could they have sold more? Yes, but there was not the manpower to pull off such a feat. Would they have wanted to sell more, hell yes! They sell what they build, not the other way around.

Porsche engineers also are hired out by other manufacturers to do work for them. Look at the old American standard Harley Davidson. Their V-rod is powered by a Porsche designed engine.

Reply to
Devils944

Hold the phone here. You can't compare the speed at which a Corvette resale drops and think that the Porsche will drop at the same rate. First, ask anybody here with and old 911SC what it will sell for. Most are still OVER

50% of their original value and these cars are 20 to 25 years old. Better yet here are some actual numbers.

Edmunds lists the 1995 Base Corvette at a new price of $36,785.00 Edmunds lists the 1995 Base 911 at a new price of $60,625.00

Edmunds puts the dealer retail cost of the used Vette at $16549.00 Edmunds puts the dealer retail cost of the used 911 at $36,920.00

The Corvette is now roughly 45% of it's original price. The 911 is now roughly 60% of it's original price.

There can be no arguments here. The 911 is famous for it's value retention. Feel free to compare ANY 911 of the past 20 years.

Reply to
Devils944

Cars are designed and manufactured. If you could design and manufacter athletes that would really be something.

No Pointy nose as in Race car not as in any car with a pointy nose. Purpose built race cars are a whole breed apart from their street counterparts. They are not comparable. A Lemans racer will bea serious track machine but will not hold up under the abuse of driving down a street with potholes. A Triumph TR7 was a wedge an Indy/F1 race car is a pointy nose car. See the difference?

I tend to read Road & Track rarely as the rareified air the writers live in is too thin for me. The Corvette is brute power and handles very well. It is in a class above the NSX and the 911 performance wise. The NSX is a car that is now outdated and hasn't been changed much since it's inception and is way overpriced. Good performer but not great and is due to be either updated or phased out. The 911 variants are truely great cars, I admit that. I believe they need to come down a lot in price to be competitive. Either that or they need a real HP boost on the lower models. The New Lambo is going to give the

911 Turbo a run for it's money. My personal opinion is that the 911 turbo should be priced at $85K or so and then it would be very competitive in every way with the Z06. I see NSX's around every so often and it takes me a second to realize what they are. They look like a Vette with a body kit to me. At least at some angles. I supposed you've noticed that teh 911's are not even close to being competitive in SCCA Autocross. The Z06 kicks everything that comes along. The Porsches tend to show up in the Mod classes and variants like the 914 rather than the 911's. They just aren't competitive in that enviroment.

You mean hand fitted? They are mass produced unlike say the Saleens which are built by hand but so far he hasn't built very many. Many cars today have to have a lot of assembly in them to keep the prices down. Porsche elects how many units they will build per day. Ferrari builds even less.

No price is a factor. If you just want to drive around in your 911 that's fine but when you step on the gas the Z06 will be breathing fire and the 911 will be gasping for air. A built Z06 will do even better. The 911's no longer are the top performers and the Vipers like them or hate them are more inline with the pricing on a Porsche and the Vipers will crush the Porsches. But their interior sucks, no doubt about that. If I were to buy a Viper. I would buy it for the sheer performance and not a snazzy interior. It's price is comparable to the $85K 911. Around the track the 911 will not even come close. But the Viper needs a wel trained driver.

This sounds like the guys doesn't know how to drive or apex his car. The Base C5 and the Base 911 are close in numbers but a well sorted driver would still outperform the 911. This is base to base model now. Of course the price difference grows to double in this class.

The 928's were junk, I've never seen a good one. I owned a 944 Turbo but the 928's creaked and groaned when they were new and had enough electrical problems to make Lucas proud. They squeezed 2 4 cyls together. The 928's can be had for very cheap money today. I have yet to hear about a 911 getting a 10 cyl. I did hear the Carrera GT was going to get one. Porsche does up their HP every year but there is no way it's 50 HP a year. Sometimes it 7HP.

Then that magazine should be questioned for other things they write as they are too far off from reality. I don't trust Road & Track much at all. Although most of the car rags are questionable to begin with. When the M3 beat out the Corvette because it had 2 extra seats you knew it was rigged. I believe that was C&D. If you know the term is wrong don't use it. The Vette is not a super exotic but the Z06 does perform up there with many of them. That's why they use it as a base car. If my $250K Ferrari got wasted by a $50K Vette I'd be ticked off as well.

We buy cars for very different reasons then. The 911 is a nice car and a dcent performer but you will not keep up with the Z06 when you are really wringing the car out and yes we do do that once in a while. If luxury means that much to you there are other cars with even more luxury features. The only thing I need in the car is air conditioning. I know it robs power but the heat bothers me. Other than that I don't need power windows, 10 million amp stereos. none of that crap. Just give me nice grippy seats, easy to use heat and A/C controls and a nice exhaist note. Keep the wood and leather trim, the power 47,000 way power seats and the rest of it. If I wanted that stuff I'd buy a luxury car. Not a sports car.

The exterior panes are better than you think the new C5's are considerably better. If your HVAC control are that important that's fine they aren't a big deal to me as long as they work. i could put one heck of a nice interior into a Vette for $10K and it would easily better the stock 911 interior and you's still save $25K. The new C6 is supposed to be even better but until I see a production version. I'm withholding an opinion on it. I like the squared off ass on the C5 it's a different look and doesn't look like a million other cars out there. Granted it's no Lotus Europa rear end but I still like it. The Z06 is powerful and does handle great. Plus it's reasonably priced. It has a low snob factor so car snobs tend to dislike it for that reason alone.

Yes but you anagoly again fails you. This is like buying a $40 steak at a Steakhouse or butying a $10 Steak at Wendy's but the $10 steak tastes as good as the $40 one at the steakhouse only you pocket the extra $30. The Corvette is doing that and it's undeniable. What you are getting for your extra $30 is a fancy table and valet parking but not a better steak.

If you were to take a 911 out on the track and I were to take out a Z06. I would most likely beat you depending on the track if it hasd a lot of tight turns or was fairly open. The tighter tracks tend to favor the 911.

The 911 is not a practical commuter in any way any more than the Vette is. Many people do use them for that but it's not the ideal car for it. The C5 can do it as well as a 911.

No they are now owned by VAG who has a lot more say than anyone is willing to admit. Porsche is a low volume company 20,000 units is nothing in the car world. Ferrari makes quite a lot less than that. Porsche is not the Porsche of old. They are no longer handbuilt and that's a fact. The older 911's were but that is no longer the case. Theyy are still built well but not by hand.

Porsche hired the Japanese to come in and show them how to be more efficient building cars. This is why the 996's are so different from the older 911's

The roof part has always been debateable. The 2 doors and 2 seats is not the 911 by that criteria is not a sports car becauseit has 2 seat in the back.

I have heard the same story but with the Vette getting picked. Most people know Jack shit about cars. They see a badge and think it means soemthing. Sometimes it does. I'd take a Faerrai over any of the others and could care less if you pass me. It's not easy to pass a Ferrari but it's a better car than all the others. At least for a weekend toy.

Reply to
Shomuni

I just did I compared 5 year old cars the exact same ones we were talking about. If you want to go back in time a 1965 Vette is going to costa lot more than a Porsche of the same year. Vettes appreciate in value, at least many of them do. But not immediately. The 911's raely go up in value although a few specific models have. Far more Vettes appreciate over 911's.

Newer cars I did compare. You went in and picked an older model 911 which is the aircooleed model and is highly desirable over the new 996 which has a much lower resale value. You are twisting the truth again to make Porsche look better than it is. That is why I compared new versus new. The new 911 will not hold it's value like the aircooled versions which are no longer made. I should think you'd try to be a bit more honest than this obvious tactic.

Reply to
Shomuni

Your figure is wrong. The Carrera Coupe starts at $68,600.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

The Z06 is quicker to 60 and through the quarter mile, doesn't stop better, has a lower top speed and is no quicker through the slalom than a Carrera in the Road & Track tests. If your definition of "eats" is strictly straight line, then point made. The high-performance Corvette variant is quicker in a straight line than the base Carrera. The base Corvette is not. Your global assertion of "eats" is not supported by facts.

Cost is a factor not the be all and end all as you are twisting it into.

But I stand by what I said Cost is a factor and you always have to consider it unless you are so

If cost is not the "be all and end all" of your argument, what is? You continually refer to cost ("bang for the buck", "cost is always a consideration", "they gouge you for every penny").

Cost may be a factor to some people, but in the high end automobile market cost is not a factor. Do you think the guy who spends twice as much on a 996 Turbo as he would on a Z06 cares about the cost? Obviously there are other factors that caused him to buy the Porsche. I don't think the guy who spends over $200K for a Ferrari loses sleep over the fact he could have had a Corvette, or a Porsche, for hundreds of thousands less. A Taurus will carry as many people and their luggage as a Rolls, but I'm thinking the Rolls owner is not counting the extra money he could have had for lattes by buying the Ford. I didn't even consider a Z06 over my Carrera despite the fact it would have been quicker in a straight line and cost less. There are myriad tangible and intangibles that enter into a buying decision and in some cases cost is NOT a factor - you should have learned that in college.

The Mustang Cobra and the Subaru STi offer comparable straight line figures to the Corvette for thousnds of dollars less. You're the one who brought up the spectre of less expensive cars motoring by the higher priced ones. To dismiss them as not being in the same class as a Corvette is absurd. When some kid in a STi pulls a Corvette do you think the Chevy driver will be comforted by the thought that the Subaru is "not in my class" ?

If you're satisfied with a Z06 interior, great. But spare us the working class bullshit about sipping lattes and posing in a leather and wood interior. I pull a normal work week like most folks, have a mortgage and other bills and I didn't think twice about spending a lot more for the car I wanted.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Imagine that, a Subaru that eats a Corvette.

Reply to
rory911

OK, this is going to have to be it because you are not being sensible or truthful.

I picked 1995 out of my ass, but since you insist on going C5 vs. 996 I will oblige.

1997 C5 MSRP listed at $38,495.00 1997 911 (996) Coupe MSRP listed at $63,750.00

1997 C5 Dealer Retail value is now $21,366.00

1997 911 Dealer retail value is now $43,306.00

The Corvette is at 55% of it's original value. The Porsche is at 66% of it's original value.

Your bowtie bias is very strong, but your knowledge of Porsche and their resale values is very weak. I would suggest you come back when you have a better grasp of the history of the 911. You can have the opinion and rant over and over about one class to the next, but, you are correct, the V-8 Corvette performance numbers are very similar to the flat 6 Porsche. That is nothing to brag about. You do the same with 33% more. Less with more.

Because you say that the exterior fit and finish of the Corvette is on par with the 911, doesn't make it so. History has shown that is simply not true. JD Power surveys say it is not so. I will believe a leading consumer group rather than the word of a Corvette owner.

You can talk about fire breathing and gasping for air and other colorful statements. You can even throw in the stereotypical "snob factor" a few times. It does not change the fact that until Corvette upgrades itself completely into a world class car, it will always just be considered just a notch under its German competitors. Twist it, throw in close numbers, talk about doodads (by the way, Chevy would sell them if they could, but they have trouble even moving Corvettes with $7K taken off the price, much less extras) It doesn't change the fact that it is still just a Chevy, and Chevy is not known for longevity or quality.

Reply to
Devils944

You will not find a dealer wanting to sell you a stripped down Base model. That is why I used the price from Edmunds for both cars. The RWD Coupe was listed as $85,100 with typical options. I left the same in on the Z06. Have fun looking for stripped down 911 coupe with a cloth interior.

Reply to
Shomuni

Shomuni, in case you didn't read the "Porschephobes" post, or if you aren't able to understand subtle hints:

Why are you here?

This is alt.autos.*Porsche*.

I like value. And I have found more value in Porsches than any other car I've owned, which covers a few.

Why do you feel such a compulsion to attempt to convince the people in this group, Porsche afficianados, that you are right and we are wrong? I feel safe to say that your paper effort has convinced exactly no one.

I will not be buying a Z06 Corvette. It is not my kind of car. I think my sentiment echoes that of everyone here.

Please, *you* go buy your corvette already. Take up residence in alt.autos.corvette, if there is one. I'm sure you'll find a crowd that's more receptive to your ideas there.

Thanks

Reply to
default