Re: V8 Conversion Question

Is that a New as in 2003 996 Coupe for $63K delivered? That's a pretty good deal on a 996. The Porsches do drive very nice. Myself I'd rather have a 1995 911 Air cooled turbo or a Z06. While a C5 Vette is nice unless it's the Z06 I wouldn't buy it. 911's are rarely a bargain unless they are used.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

If I had to keep it (i.e. couldn't sell it to buy a 911), I'd take the '67

911. Wouldn't think twice. 911s are fun galore. My earliest one was a 72 911T with 2.4S motor. Mechanical fuel injection. Absolute blast to drive. Came on the cam hard at 6500 RPM and... Watch out! LOL. Out of the 911s I've had, the earlier ones are the pure essence of the machine. It was really a sideways-through-turns, steer with the throttle, lightweight go-kart of a car. How about a '73 911 Carrera RS Touring? I'd take that over *any* corvette. Of course, that's not fair. I'd even settle for a lesser 911, if you're offering :)
Reply to
default

I tought the split window Vette was a 1962 model?

Reply to
<mikethacker

You

Boxster

S2000

Once again, some people buy for quality and with the performance numbers being so close, there has to be a deciding factor.

Complete subjectivity. Because the Chevy is not on par quality-wise or reliability-wise with the Honda or Porsche, is it really cheaper to have it in the shop so much?

Honda

No I don't have a Honda, but if I did I would sleep knowing I had a better car than a Corvette.

misinformation

Reply to
Devils944

Thank you hillbilly, you make it so easy!

Well

Yeah, Jaguar builds tons of sports cars these day. *eyes rolling*

< devils>

Devils

Nice debating skills.

I served my country proudly and fully believe in the first amendment granting me free speech, whether you like it or not. It is you people, wrapped in the flag and pissing on the constitution, that give this country a bad name. We have great and we have bad in this country and if I want to say, since 1973, America has produced turds as far as autos go, I can.

Toyota

Corollas

40 bucks for Jeep?

Careful now, don't want to slam an American manufacturer. Jeeps are built in Dearborn, Michigan.

Other wise known as the Vette beater in competition or the 824 by the brain dead hick known as tecwhiz.

I am well within my rights. I also am waiting for you to prove me wrong. Which of course, you can't.

devils924) and take care of my cars.

Reply to
Devils944

The Corvette was only made with a split rear window as a 1963 model, dummy. Better to not post and be thought an idiot than to come up with something like "a 67 split window vette" and remove all doubt.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

If you put 1990 944 on about the same scale as the standard 1990 Vette. The Vette is worth anywhere from 25% to 33% of it's original value. The 944 is worth from 25% to 30% of it's original value.

Difference being, the Corvette is the flagship and the 944 the entry level model.

The 928 has fared much worse, but then again, you wouldn't compare the standard Vette with the 928. The 1990 Corvette had far less power than a

928. Luckily, Chevy had the ZR-1 that would be considered in the same class as the 928. The $75K 928 has a resale of around $20K making it worth about 27% of it's original value. The ZR-1 with a price tag of around $61K is now worth around $13K or around 22% of it's original value. So the Vette has depreciated faster.

So to answer your question, the Porsche waterpumper series have depreciated about the same or in some cases less than the Corvette. The newer 928's ('94-'95) have kept their values way up. A 1995 928GTS is still at around

50% of it's original value.

Once again, all these numbers are just numbers. My co-worker with a C4 can't ask for more than $12K for his 1994 model, while I can easily get $5K over book for my S2. It all depends on where you live. I move to Indiana, and my value drops.

Reply to
Devils944

How have the 928 and 944 done in depreciation compared to the Vette?

Reply to
Brad

Ahem...It's getting almost impossible to find any model 944 here. The = turbo models are especially scarce. When I do see one listed in the = paper, the asking prices are stupidly high. Just a FYI.

--=20 Jack

D> If you put 1990 944 on about the same scale as the standard 1990 D> Vette. The D> Vette is worth anywhere from 25% to 33% of it's original value. D> The 944 is worth from 25% to 30% of it's original value.

D> Difference being, the Corvette is the flagship and the 944 the D> entry level model.

D> The 928 has fared much worse, but then again, you wouldn't D> compare the standard Vette with the 928. The 1990 Corvette had D> far less power than a 928. Luckily, Chevy had the ZR-1 that would D> be considered in the same class as the 928. The $75K 928 has a D> resale of around $20K making it worth about 27% of it's original D> value. The ZR-1 with a price tag of around $61K is now worth D> around $13K or around 22% of it's original value. So the Vette D> has depreciated faster.

D> So to answer your question, the Porsche waterpumper series have D> depreciated about the same or in some cases less than the D> Corvette. The newer 928's ('94-'95) have kept their values way D> up. A 1995 928GTS is still at around 50% of it's original value.

D> Once again, all these numbers are just numbers. My co-worker with D> a C4 can't ask for more than $12K for his 1994 model, while I can D> easily get $5K over book for my S2. It all depends on where you D> live. I move to Indiana, and my value drops.

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

Jack, I am not disagreeing with you. A mint, low mileage 951S books at about $12K. Good luck ever finding one of those. When I sold my high mileage '84 I got $1100.00 more than I was asking. On the other hand a 1990 Corvette convertible books at $13K, yet at our local used Corvette warehouse they can be had for $8888.00, well under book. I bought my 944S2 in rural PA and saved $6K to $7K over San Diego prices... According Excellence the 944 has bucked it's declining trend and has increased in value over the last few years. My guess is that proper ones are getting harder to find, with the newest ones now being 13 years old.

"Jack D. Russell, Sr." wrote in message news:bk43u7$p1mb4$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-120468.news.uni-berlin.de... Ahem...It's getting almost impossible to find any model 944 here. The turbo models are especially scarce. When I do see one listed in the paper, the asking prices are stupidly high. Just a FYI.

Reply to
Devils944

standard Vette with the 928

Reply to
karl gruber

What an amazing amount of time wasted on a mis-directed thread. For the record the 67 Vette thing is a loaded question. The 67 Corvette (which reguarly sells for 60k+) is a desirable model, the 67 Porsche isn't. Change the year to 1977 Vette vs 911S.

But that was never my question, EVER!

Racers change motors all the time. Porsche has used other engines, and allowed their engines to be used in other cars in competition. It all depends on which engine can best exploit the rules. The Porsche/Cooper Pan-Am car was a nice little car (though the pit crew called it the Pooper).

My question is, can a GM V8 be made to live in a 911? I have owned several racers with Chevy V8's in 700-900hp ranges. They often see 1000 plus. That isn't an issue nor is it debatable. I can buy a Beck crate motor with

673hp and a 5 year warranty for under 10k. I can't buy the equivalent in a Porsche motor
for anything near the price. I am still looking at the 505hp car that is on E-bay. They invested into the mid 5 digits into this car, so it should be done fairly well. So the question remains, can these be made to work.

Earl

"default" wrote in news:8ET8b.5974$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com:

Reply to
Big Earl

Wrong again...The C5 is a copy of the 928. Front engine rear transaxle. The

Reply to
Devils944

Reply to
Devils944

ZR-1's I've seen are quite a bit more than 13k. More up around 20k. I see base 1990's or so going for 10-12k without much problem. I've also seen plenty of '97 C5's going for around 20k even for a convertible or two, so the prices of the older used models do always surprise me a bit. C5's are very nice and well worth the money, but even the C4's are a bit iffy to me for the prices involved. And '84 is of course probably the worst for resale of possibly any year.

Disregarding all other factors, I'd say Corvettes have a good resale advantage simply because they are Corvettes and are in America. Maybe the typical American always wanted a Vette as a kid and so will pay more for one as an adult, who knows. And the maintanence factor does play a part in Porsche resale. Lots of areas don't even have Porsche dealers, so an average person will usually take that into account before paying some nice bucks for one.

Yes, kind of goes with what I was saying. In certain cities, you can see a nice Porsche every few blocks. In other cities, you won't see even one a week, much less see a Porsche dealer within a two-hour drive. Thing is, while you'd think the rareness factor would up the resale value for those areas, it actually seems to downgrade the value, possibly due to having trouble finding anyone to work on it.

Reply to
Brad

What other engines did they use?

This is a main point I am referring to in these threads. Nothing beats a Chevy V8 for bang-for-the-buck. No Porsche. No import. Nothing. That's simply how it is in America. I don't know why you'd expect any/many problems with a good-hp V8 in a 911. You've already ridden in one and loved it, and the later 911 transmissions can handle around

500-600hp just fine. I don't know how a stock trans would do against the torque of a big-block or a small-block with nitrous, but a typical "fast" street engine it shouldn't have much problem with. No more problems than a non-911 would have with that much power, anyway. 911's can definitely take some abuse.
500hp really isn't *all* that much for many cars if you aren't beating on it every day, as you probably know. If you're driving it a 1/4-mile at a time, then parts breakage goes up real fast. I think that ebay car is their prototype, so it's expected that they spent quite a bit on it as they designed and tested things. You've already rode in a similar one, I thought, so I don't know why you're questioning it. 500hp cars wear out parts more than 300hp cars do, of course. There's no getting away from that. The biggest factor is how you drive it. 911's aren't built weak, though.

What did some of those Chevy racers of yours do at the track? I've been in an 8-second car on the street, and after that, even I know I have my limits.

Reply to
Brad

Truth be told, I see more Deloreans and Panteras and Ferraris than I do any kind of Porsches. It's like Porsches are a "top-of-the-line" "average guy" car, while those other cars are more of a second-car, weekend toy. Porsches are caught in the middle a little bit. They're generally expensive for a daily-driver, yet they're not quite a "rare exotic." So people with multiple cars may want something *really* rare. I consider that a good thing, though. Having a Porsche as a daily-driver is far from a bad thing.

My brother lives in Chicago, and he says there's a Porsche every few blocks. When I've been there, I've seen the same. If you want a car that's still sort-of affordable that makes a good driver, you drive a Porsche. If you want a "hey, look at me" car that can be a little tough to maintain, you drive a Ferrari or Lambo, and good luck with the upkeep.

Reply to
Brad

I have had a few cars in the 8's but they were not street cars in any true sense. You can put turn signals on anything, but that doesn't make it a street car.

As someone who has raced cars for more years than most of the people here have probably been alive, I understand that High Performance cars wear out parts faster. Not a problem there. But in a radical conversion like this one, I would like to hear from people who are driving one every day, even in a milder form. Just because it can be bolted together, and I can take a ride in it doesn't mean it is going to work as a street vehicle on a regular basis.

From what I understand about the car on e-bay, a conversion company built the car originally in their shop, but it didn't work correctly and the people who own it now put another 15k into it to fix the original mistakes.

Thanks for the information. I am going to put in a bid and see where it goes.

Earl

Brad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Reply to
Big Earl