Replacement 18" Rear Tire Cost?

I just looked at my rears and after 12k miles it's time to get a new set. The fronts look fine.

I've searched the web to get an estimate of what they might cost but can not find anything to compare. So...

Has anybody replaced Continental 265/35 ZR 18's and can you give an indication of the price? What about going to a Porsche dealer? Any other recommendations or does it make sense to look at alternatives to the Continental's?

Thanks in advance.

Carrera 2000 Millenium.

Reply to
TIno

We just replaced the 285/30 - 18 Pirelli rears on our 2002 coupe at

18,500. If your fronts are fine and you don't want to replace all four, obviously you're stuck with Continental, since you don't want to mix brands. Tirerack.com lists the Conti in your size for $222. They have a pretty good site that shows you a number of brands in your size.

Our next tires will be Michelin Pilot Sports, the P2 if it's been approved by Porsche for the Carrera (it is not at present). The dealer where we bought the car said the Pilot Sports wear better, handle better and are quieter than either the Pirellis or Continentals. A friend just put P2s on his M3 (supercharged) and swears by them.

We actually got our rears replaced at the dealer - their price wasn't as good as Discount Tire but was better than the shop recommended by another Porsche dealer. We figured our dealer would know how to change the tires without buggering up the wheels and car, so we went with them.

Both wheels came back scratched, but the dealer had them sent out and they came back looking like new.

Rennlist.com has a wheel and tire forum where you can get some good info re. other folks opinions of various tires.

Reply to
Jim Keenan