Some insight please, 1990 911 coupe or a 1997 boxster

Are these apples and oranges to try to compare? I have an oppertunity to one or the other. Is there anything I should know about these model years? I have heard some say dont buy a pre 2000 boxster, is this soley because of the engine? Theis will be my frist Porsche , of many I hope. Thanks for any insight.

Reply to
bjbliffert

"bjbliffert" wrote

The '97 is the first year for the Boxster. '97-'99 model years had a 200hp (?)

2.5L engine that was (so I hear) very prone to oil leaks and other problems. '00 and later have a 2.7L 227hp engine - our's had two oil leaks (one a fitting and one the crankcase!) so I can imagine how bad the earlier ones were.

IMO, the 911 is by far the better car, although the interior and door seals are probably not in good shape...

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

From a purely monetary view, I'd suggest an '87-89 911 or 993-type

911 if you can swing it, model over either the 964-type 911 or the Boxster, both of which are continuing to depreciate. Depreciation tends to be the biggest car ownership expense, and this is a case where you can pretty much avoid it altogether. Otherwise, the pre-2000 Boxsters are known for some problems with the plastic window (need to be careful of it) and the RMS (rear main seal) leaking and sometimes needing numerous fixes, so knowing it was fixed once by the current owner offers no peace of mind. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

could you explain what you mean buy a 993, Im still learning the terms. thanks i went an looked a 1990 targa, beautiful, so its the wife's favorite.

Reply to
bjbliffert

While Porsche has made the rear engined "911" since 1964, later production versions were also identified by their type number. The type

993 is the last air-cooled 911. The 996 was the first liquid-cooled 911. The current 911 (2005 model year) is the 997.

The 1990 911 is a type 964.

Reply to
Jim Keenan