Spare Tire On Cayman

Is it true that the Cayman does not have a spare tire but a sealant and pump? Has that been a problem? Are the tires of a size and type that are readily available at most places?

Thanks

Reply to
J666

Yes

Haven't had a flat yet

Are the tires of a size and type that are readily

major dealers in urban areas would - or could get them quickly.

Reply to
cryopete

I've got an '06 997...which like all the new era cars (beginning '05) is also missing a spare tire. The factory is trying to reduce the car's weight to increase gas mileage and increase trunk space. Also, when carrying 2 people, it is near to impossible to get a wheel inside anyway, as they certainly won't fit in the trunk. Getting tires in major markets is no problem. If you're stranded somewhere in Montana...you'll be waiting for FedEx. If it's an irreparable blow out, you call 1-800-PORSCHE...and wait for a flatbed.

We're planning on doing some touring later this spring and summer and (like you), I'd feel more comfortable with some kind of spare.

Reply to
Guru

Thanks for the help.

One more quick question.

The Cayman has more storage space than the 911, and so does anyone make a wheel and space saver spare that can be carried if stuck in the middle of nowhere or need to wait for a tire to be sent to the local tire dealer.

No spare seems a little frightening

Reply to
J666

You can probably contact one of the many Porsche dismantlers and get the space-saver spare from an earlier model. One from a Boxster or any 996 should work.

Reply to
Guru

Thanks for the help

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:07:22 -0500, Guru wrote (in message ):

Reply to
J666

J666 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.rgv.rr.com:

Don't forget, should you have a need to use the space saver, you need to have space to carry the tyre you remove. In the case of a UK Boxster S the only place the rear tyre fits is the passenger seat!!!

Reply to
No Name

On Mar 28, 10:51 am, No Name

Good point - maybe need to a get a little trailer to tow behind or a roof rack for the Cayman ;-)

I suppose the only plus of carrying the space saver tire when traveling would be could use if if had to wait for the a replacement tire to be sent to the tire dealer.

Do they make run-flat tires in this size and if so, are they any good.

Reply to
J666