STORGAGE HELP - LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON STORING MY 911/996 DURING A CANADIAN WINTER

Picked up a 99 996 at the beginning of this summer here in Toronto, now getting ready to put it away for the winter. Can someone advise what i need to do. I'm assuming its best to put it up on axle stands, remove the wheels, leave the hood unlatched so as to avoid a dead battery problem and put some gas stabilixer into a full tank of gas? Anything else - it will sit in an unheated garage - thanks in advance.

Reply to
<melissa

getting ready to put it away for the winter. Can someone advise what i need to do. I'm assuming its best to put it up on axle stands, remove the wheels, leave the hood unlatched so as to avoid a dead battery problem and put some gas stabilixer into a full tank of gas? Anything else - it will sit in an unheated garage - thanks in advance.

Check your owners manual under "Storing your Porsche".

For the 2002 MY it recommends cleaning the car thoroughly inside and out, cleaning the engine compartment and making sure the under carriage and chassis components are free of dirt and salt deposits.

Fill the fuel tank, tire pressures to 58 PSI and move the vehicle slightly every four weeks to prevent tire flat spots.

A/C system should be fully charged.

Battery out of vehicle and stored on a cool dry surface (not concrete floor). Recharge battery every three months.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

And change the engine oil and filter and run the car for a few minutes.......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

ready to put it away for the winter. Can someone advise what i need to do. I'm assuming its best to put it up on axle stands, remove the wheels, leave the hood unlatched so as to avoid a dead battery problem and put some gas stabilixer into a full tank of gas? Anything else - it will sit in an unheated garage - thanks in advance.

Some people like to change the oil now, some first thing next spring. I do both, cause what the hell, oil's cheap. I recommend some silica gel pacs to keep the interior dry and rot free (I didn't, and had to replace moldy floor mats), treat all the rubber seals with a rubber protectant/revitalizer, treat the leather to moisturize it (I cracked mine the first time I sat down this spring), and I went ahead and removed my battery. I trickle charged it a few days before re-installing it in the car. Started up fine. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I live in Mass & store my 2000 C4 Dec-Mar in an unheated but attached garage--it doesn't freeze. I fill the tank, wash the car thoroughly and put the top up. I bought the Porsche trickle charger for $100 that plugs into the wall & into the cigarette lighter--it keeps the battery charged. About every 2-3 weeks I go down & start it & let it run a few minutes, mainly because I miss driving it & love to smell the leather.

Jack Musgrove