What is wrong with longer wearing tires for highway use?

I just bought a used 2000 Boxter and it needs new tires. I favor Michelin but am appalled at the low wear index,140, of the Porsche recommended MXX3 Pilot SX. The Pilot Sport is not much better at 220. For strictly highway use in the USA what is wrong with the Pilot Sport A/S (all season) with a wear index of 400?

Dave the Scotsman

Reply to
David Muir

I would imagine it just comes down to grip Vs wear. Porsche would probably be more inclined to recommend the tire with more grip.

Buddee.

Reply to
Buddee

EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
woody

Dave, You would definitely get more wear out of a 400 rated tire. You would also get more noise and less grip because of the hardness. I usually handle it this way...middle ground. There are plenty of

220/240 rated tires that compromise very little in handling or in noise. You will get decent mileage out of them, and decent performance.

Devs..

Reply to
Devils944S2

if these highways have " off ramps " and " on ramps " you will no the answer to your question . woody

911 turbo
Reply to
woody

This time...I agree with the "Devil". You have to compromise somewhere if you want more wear...you give up some handling. His compromise is about right.

Drive...and enjoy! 'Tis the season for Boxsters and Cabriolets.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Concur with everyone's answers. One other thing to consider is if the tire you plan to mount is approved by Porsche. Currently, Carreras get an "N" designation (as in my 2002 coupe has Pirelli P Zero Rosso 285/30 ZR 18 N4 tires).

When I questioned the dealer as to possibly putting on a tire that didn't have Porsche approval, he said while the car was under warranty that use of a non-approved tire could raise an issue should there be a warranty situation that could be laid at the feet of the tire. If warranty concerns are not an issue, get what you like best.

A friend just put Pilot Sport P2s on his supercharged M3 and he loves them. This is the tire coming out on the Carrera GT.

Finally, the Boxter has a very even front/rear weight distribution like the 944/968 and shares their reputation for delightful, very neutral handling. The recomendation for a high treadwear compound may be to maximize this handling dynamic.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

"David Muir" wrote

I got a set of Pilot Sport A/S for my wife's Boxster (here in Seattle, rain is a fact of life). They are not as grippy as the Bridgestones (RE91?) they replaced; however the OEM Michelins and Bridgestones only last 10-15K miles.

I'll be interested to see how long the A/S's last.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Reply to
Devils944S2

"Devils944S2" wrote

Not sure; not a member. I do know members - my impression is that there are some real gearheads/racerats there. I knew a number of Porsche drivers when I worked at MS; a few *very* serious racers (David Cutler, Daryl Havens).

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

The San Diego region was a lot of showing off wealth and

Huh? Just this April alone the San Diego Region had a tour to the Palm Springs Car Classic, a PCNA Parts Distribution Center Tour, autocross and driver ed. days at Qualcomm Stadium, a tech session on suspension tuning and components, and a rally as well as Zone 8 concours and autocross events.

Reply to
Jim Keenan