Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Which of the above is the best roadster? What do people think?

Here's a Russian article. Can anyone translate this.

I'm not sure which one I'd choose. I probably lean towards the Z4 M, but Boxster S has probably better handling. Recently Boxster S won vs Z4M in a comparo. SLK 55 has nice hardtop but no manual, but has presence (read: chicksmobile?) from the front like the SLR. I think all are winners. Any thoughts?

Reply to
RichAsianKid

This month's issue of Car and Driver has a comparison of the M Coupe' and the Cayman S, the Cayman was quicker in all but one accleration test and was 2 seconds quicker around the test track. C&D gave it the win because of it's superior performance and dynamics.

Although I'm aware that you're talking about the M Roadster and Boxster S, not the M Coupe' and Cayman S, there's a reason for my bringing this up: Porsche is introducing the Cayman's engine range to the Boxster models for the 2007 model year along with minor suspension tweaks. As far as I know, all comparisons made thus far between the M Roadster and Boxster S have used the less powerful, less evolved 06' model year Boxster S for comparison, rendering the results moot unless you're planing on buying an 06' model year unit as opposed to waiting for the new version.

As far as the SLK55 is concerned, it's very quick in a straight line, but I'm hard pressed to believe it can handle on par with either the BMW or the Porsche. It's a more "fashionable" sporty GT coupe than it is a sports car and it's probably most akin to the *outgoing* MKIV platform Audi TT than anything else, although I'd personally prefer the DSG equipped 3.2 TT to the SLK despite it's less frantic accleration.

If you're really considering spending the cash on a sports roadster, a Comptech supercharged Honda S2000 isn't a bad way to go either, although the supercharger will void your factory warranty and it isn't as refined as the European vehicles. You can also look for a second hand Boxster S (I'd go for an 03' or newer model) and fitting it with an intake/exhaust upgrade and GIAC's chip, which will net you around

15-20 horsepower comb> Which of the above is the best roadster? What do people think?
Reply to
Filmophile

I've driven a Boxster S quite extensively and tried a Z4M coupe yesterday. The Z4 was way more fun but I suspect the Porsche would be as quick if not quicker. Just a more accurate car where the Z4M was definately more involving. Didn;t get to switch DSC off though as I was nannied by the dealer :-(

Reply to
TonyK

The article is too long to translate, but here are the pluses and minuses that they assign to each:

Boxster:

  • for handling, quality, display arrangment

- for lack of comfort

SLK:

  • for comfort, power

- for handling, braking

Z4:

  • for handling, transmission

- for visibility, comfort

Reply to
John Cisarik

Lets not forget a Cayman S will be $15K more the MZ coupe. That ain't chump change. Anyway, I think I'll keep my 11 year old supercharged E36 M3.

Reply to
Richard Sperry

Top Gear conpared the Boxter and the SLK55 and was shocked that they found it more capable in every area than the Porsche.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks for all the details.

As for above, probably off-topic for these ngs, any idea how the Honda S2000 compare with the Nissan Z?

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Thanks.

Too bad Google does not have the Russian translation engine. Did the article give an overall winner? Not that it matters much - it's like a composite index anyway, so depends what you're looking for. But since it's posted to a Russian BMW carclub possibly the reviewers gave the nod to the Z4M?

Reply to
RichAsianKid

A factory stock S2000 will keep up with a 350Z in accleration tests and probably be quicker around a given track. However, getting that kind of performance from the S2000 means driving it *really* hard and knowing how to keep the engine inside it's narrow powerband between 6,000 and

8,200 RPM. The 350Z is a more ref> Film>
Reply to
Filmophile

Well, ok, but ya gotta be a tiny little dude to fit inside an S2K, where even a 6' 5"er can fit inside a 350Z....

Reply to
daytripper

richasiankid, which one are you planning on getting?

the mercedes is a sissy status-seeking sport's car, the z4 looks weird, to say the least....i like the suave-ness, curvacious body, poise and grace of the boxster. midengine, rear-wheel drive..the ultimate for balance and stability.

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

i like the way the boxster looks like it glides on the road...with those 'propeller' wheels spinning.

i like the fact that there's no backseat as well. who needs that dead space for a sportscar anyways?

i also like the soft, drop-top...even though you don't like convertibles...it still looks sexy...it reminds me of a bikini top, lol

Reply to
Lawrence Lugar

The 6's were. The 55 will out-evrything the Prosche.

You're guessing, and guessing wrong.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

And

- for looking the same at both ends..

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

And the first Merc CLK Cab W208 looks much better then any of these and has space for 4 reasonably-sized adults. And doesn't require one to stop and think which end is which...;-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

So to sum it all up, the porsche guys like porsches, beamer guys like the beamers, and the merc guys like the mercs. Find a way to drive all that you're interested in, I recommend doing it as close together as possible. If you aren't presently a "driving enthusiast" maybe get a ride with some one who is. Someone who can explore the car safely at 1/2-5/8 of what the car is capable of. Anecdotally the most impressive ride along I ever experienced was at a drivers-ed event, in a stock 944 n/a... a car I previously wouldn't have given more than a passing glance, now one of my daily drivers. Slow as hell, till you get moving then possibly one of the most responsive rides I've ever been in. Take your time you'll find the right one. don

Reply to
windz1

The CLK 63 (481hp) is coming out; any word on whether a SLK 63 is in the works? But then maybe that'll make it too 'hood-heavy' assuming it's heavier than the 55 equivalent.

Reply to
RichAsianKid

For now I'll stick with my 330Ci. If I have to choose, perhaps next year, maybe the boxster S. Though I know I said I'd leaned towards the Z4M before. Not sure, have to test drive them before I tell. I for sure like the hp, but sometimes hp is not everything. LIke digicams - other features like ergonomics, LCD screens become important when pondering between a 8 MP and a 9 MP digicam - it's no longer megapixels if the competition is too close.

My 330Ci engine, though weaker than the SLK350, seemed more purposeful to me and there's that exhilirating rush as I rev up towards the redline that I get from a bimmer that I don't get from a Mercedes it seems - maybe too much Mercedes torque on the lower end of the rpm curve, so it makes no sense to push the car harder - you see all there is to see initially, so when you drive it hard, you get an anticlimax. It sort of felt that way....I test drove the SLK350 for a cous of mine (tells you how much she likes cars!) as she liked the shape and styling. I sort of convinced the Mercedes sales who worked in BMW before doing the testdrive that I was swapping the 330Ci for the SLK350. He kept saying, "you know, you won't get much more horsepower in this one....it won't go faster than the 330Ci......." What??? EVerything he stated was wrong and not in his favor. He's a born BMW sales as you can tell. Unless he's applying reverse psychology on me!

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Which btw, I think in terms of cachet probably porsche > mercedes >

BMW. Street cred? Hmmm...porsche >BMW > Mercedes? Not sure.

Reply to
RichAsianKid

The only rich asian kid i knew made his money by sucking dick. What's your story boy, have you got a grove in your tongue from sucking sausage?

Reply to
Dogger