'04 Prius after 3.5 years

We bought this loaded car in Oct '03 with no price premium, installed leather, tinting, XM-radio, and upgraded speakers, and not long thereafter bought quieter tires. We also added about

66# of strategic silencing materials, which really made a difference. I've never been happier with a car purchase.

We're right at 40,000 miles. Our fuel consumption since purchase has been about 44mpg. Unscheduled maintenance has been zero, but we paid $950 for the Toyota extended warranty anyway.

I plan to keep the car until 2011, because the CA HOV stickers are good until then - and frankly, that one feature by itself adds immense satisfaction to owning the car. Yesterday I drove

250 miles in S California freeway traffic, and saved at least an hour thanks to the HOV lanes and ramps.

It took more than 18 months for the car to depreciate to a price below that which we paid for it...

Wow!

Reply to
nunamus

Congratulaions!

Ya gotta love it...

Reply to
Bream Rockmetteller

How can that be? I recall when we bought our 2002 new that depreciation was expected to be more than average! And that it would take 200K miles to pay off the hybrid cost at $1.50 per gallon. ;-)

FWIW, after 5 years it is still my favorite car of all time. The Lotus was more fun to drive, but the maintenance was a real damper on the fun.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hah! I understand perfectly - one predecessor to my Prius was a Porsche (incredibly fast, lots of fun, 15mpg downhill). For the first year, that Prius had more prestige...

I am reluctant to give up those HOV-lane privileges, which run until 2011, for the sake of the 2010 model. Does anyone know if CA is considering a further issue?

anon

Reply to
nunamus