2 Prii family

Hi! Well, my wife has had her Prius (2006 package #4 Seaside Pearl) for just about 3 months now. Since she got it, our 2005 Avalon Limited has just sat in the garage except for the 12-mile round-trip to work on weekdays. Anytime we go anywhere together, we take the Prius. So, today I made the deal to swap the Avalon for a second Prius. My 2006 package #8 White Super White should be in to the dealer in the next couple days, then we will be a two-Prii family. I can hardly wait! Are there any others out there with two Prii? What did you trade for the second Prius? Any regrets about owning two of the same vehicle? Dave

Reply to
dayoff53

I have a 2001 Toyota Prius. Ordered Sept. 2000, received beginning of Feb. 2001. Finally got rid of my Mercury Mystake (mystique).

My mother liked it so much, and with all my talking about it, she ordered a 2002 Prius in June 2001, received Nov. 2001. (Whaa - she got the color I wanted, and didn't get the color that she really wanted (same as mine) so as not to copy me...) She traded in a Chevy Corsica.

My husband would usually try and steal my car whenever he could. (After all, we figured that whomever has the longer commute or if we were going out somewhere together, then use the higher MPG car...) Although he loved his Saturn SL2, when Toyota sent out the Pioneer letter for the redesigned 2004 Prius, he jumped on it. Pioneer ordered the 2004 Prius on the July 4th holiday weekend 2003, and received it in Nov. 2003. (We still don't understand the point of the Pioneer orders - I know a guy who walked in off the street (never having seen a Prius other than mine in passing) and bought a 2004 Prius at a dealer in Oct. that didn't have any more Pioneer orders...)

But we were late to the game to be a 2-Prius family. On the toyota-prius Yahoo!Group, there were a few that had beaten us to it, or were a 2 or more hybrid family, even a 3 Prius family...

And soon, due to a job relocation (living in a big city I can walk or take public transportation everywhere), I'll be needing to sell my unused Prius. I'll miss them...

Reply to
mrv

My wife and I were in the long queue waiting for our 2004 package 9 from Sept 2003 until it arrived March 2004. We got a black one, because we had a "take it or leave it" choice. Two months later, an out-of-state dealer called to say our white 2004 package 9 was available. I flew in to Charleston, WVA and the salesman picked me up for the second 2004 Prius purchase. I didn't trade anything in. We sold our 2001 Prius after we got the white 2004. Sold the black one after 6 months for two thousand more than what we paid, so we are back to one Prius. Still thinking about a 2007 with the touring package in that new green color though...

Reply to
Bill

We bought a 2004 (package #7) back in November of 2003. My wife and I drove it cross country from San Diego to Florida and back in December of 2005. The car was comfortale enough during the trip so we called our local dealer from Texas and ordered a 2006 package #8 for my wife. We picked it up in January

2006. We used to have two Honda Accords. No regrets. We had one major problem with the multi-function display after the 2004 was out of warranty but Toyota took care of it less the labor cost.

Kari

Reply to
kari

I just joined the club Thursday with a second 2002 that has 103K miles on it. My wife has had dibs on the green 2002 we bought new, and now I have a white one. The 1985 Volvo station wagon I had been driving was off the road anyway (I replaced the Hall effect sensor in the distributor yesterday) and things just sort of came together. I just love the driving feel of the Prius; the smoothness and quietness and the nimble feel of the electrics combined with the amazing turning radius.

As an avid DIYer I have always wanted two nearly identical cars for the times when I am having trouble figuring out what is going on when one acts up. Coincidentally, the service record of the one I just bought is the same as the one we have had - beyond routine maintenance, no repair except a replacement windshield (this *is* Arizona!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Currently I have a 2000 Corolla outside my 2005 Prius. Ever since we got the Prius the Corolla has been my personal commute car only with the Prius doing all the main work (commuting my wife to work and all weekend trips, etc.).

With the 2000 Corolla just starting to show it's age (we recently had to replace o2 sensors), we're eyeballing the features of the 2008 Prius as a potential purchase with all it's plugin features and better mileage.

The other thought has been to sell the Corolla and just become a 1 car family (my wife works close enough to where I work to where this might be possible). But then again the Corolla is still fairly cheap on the insurance and gas (hey 35mpg is respectable for an all gas car).

Gregory Harris snipped-for-privacy@codesweep.com

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
Gregory Harris

Please, don't use this awful plural!

"Prii is a pseudo-Latin fabrication. The real plural of the Latin word Prius is Priora. (Prius is the neuter form of Prior, which means much the same in Latin as in English, but can function as adjective, adverb or noun). I'd say the invariant plural Prius, or just Priuses are defensible. Priora is cumbersome, and wouldn't be recognised as a plural by your average English speaker. Prii is a bit silly. As for Toyota's authority - I've never seen them use a plural of Prius in any of their literature, so I'm not sure we'll get an answer from them. Probably because marketing types seem to have a morbid fear of plurals; they keep talking about "product" and such-like. Toyota generally just talk about "the Prius". I suspect their internal style guide rules against pluralising any of their vehicle names. And I'd tend to agree with them - it's clumsy. Try to rephrase, or use "the Prius". --KJBracey 12:37, 7 March 2006 (UTC). I don't have a referential link handy right this second, but I recall seeing a link to a Toyota rep saying the plural form of Prius is 'Prius' 65.244.227.194 04:59, 15 March

2006 (UTC) Rob Palkowski" From:
Diako, the linguist
Reply to
Diako

Well the ultimage authority - googlefight.com - says it's Prii (Prii 324,000, Priuses = 96,400): . ;-)

But I'm with you on this, it should be Priuses. Prii peeves me almost as much as faux Latin plurals of virus. (Although neither drives me to apoplexy as much as the dreaded /chaise lounge/.)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

I like the suggestion of somebody whose identity I have forgotten: Prius cars.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Diako wrote:

Hi, Diako! You made me chuckle! I have been known to get un a high horse about language occassionally myself, so I know how you feel. My particular peeve is the constant attempt to invent new words and misuse existing words in order to keep from offending overly sensitive groups. For example, using "gender" to refer to one's sex. Gender USED to refer only to the property of words (masculine, feminine or neuter gender). Now, dictionaries have caved in to the tyranny of common misuse and have "gender" as a synonym for sex. Not me. Words have gender; people have sex (if they are lucky! ). Nonetheless, when speaking informally I hold to the idea that the purpose of language is to communicate and sometimes that is best done with less-than-perfect grammar and word usage. In this case, I happen to find "Prii" cute and fun. So, despite your thought-provoking (and probably correct) comments, I'll probably continue to speak of our two prii. You, of course, are free to be offended. And, yes, we do have our second Prius. It is a 2006 white package 8 - had 1 mile on the odometer when we picked it up. It sits next to my wife's blue 2006 package 4 in the garage and, together, they make quite a handsome couple. I have suggested we ought to swap the doors to make our Prii (Oooo! There's that nasty made-up word again! Will the horror never stop?) stand out from the growing crowd, but my wife put the kibosh on that idea... I got 51.1 mpg on my first tank of gas (484 miles) per the computer readout. I have started an Excel spreadsheet to keep track long-term and see how reality compares to the computer. So far, my first fill up exemplifies the problem with calculating fuel economy on just one tank. Even though I reasonably believed I had burned at least 9.5 gallons of gas and the last bar was blinking (leading me to thing it was probably even more), I was only able to put 7.646 galloons in the tank - giving me a calculated fuel economy of ove r63 mpg! Unfortunately, I dropped the first bar after only 28 miles, when my experience with the other Prius and the first tank on this one tell me it should take about 120 miles. In other words, for whatever reason, I didn't get the tank full by a good two gallons. Oh, well. It will all work out eventually on the spreadsheet...

Reply to
dayoff53

...that would be ON a high horse...

Reply to