2003 Prius plug-in?

On calcars.org, I found the statement, "Current PHEV purchasing options are limited. Initial conversions are for 2004-2007 Prius (not

2001-2003 Prius)", Anybody know why PHEV is not available for the 2003 Prius ? I like the size, visibility, turning radius, and inexpensiveness of the Prius 2003 vs. the later models and I would buy a 2003(or earlier) model in a flash if I could turn it into a plug- in. Is that possible or is there some fundamental technical obstacle ? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply to
phil_thayer

The 2004-current, NHW20 model Prius has an EV mode option that puts the vehicle in electric vehicle (EV) mode. The 2001-2003, NHW11 lacks this built-in feature.

I have toyed with the idea but think a better approach is to look at an engine 'topping' cycle using a turbo-alternator to improve ICE efficiency.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

Not in the USA, it doesn't. It's not even an option here.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Not from Toyota, of course, but there's a conversion kit from Coastal Electronics for anyone who really wants it.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

The EV Mode OS firmware is accessible on US models. Several, including CoastaleTech.com and others offer installation kits:

- Greg

Now Easily Make Your First $50K > >

Reply to
Greg

Sorry, one of those URLs should have been:

The EV Mode OS firmware is accessible on US models.

Reply to
Greg

As the other posted pointed out, the button and wires needed to manually activate it are not sold in the North American models. However, the control pins are known and it is easy enough to wire up. One word of caution.

Those who have performed the modification report it works up to about

34 mph in today's vehicles. Others in Europe and Austrailia report a 28 mph limit. Although useful for neighborhood streets, it has limited utility on higher-speed streets.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

True, but that doesn't make it an option.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Right, but as I said, that doesn't make it an option. When one says that a feature is an option on a vehicle, in common parlance that means you can buy a car with that feature for extra money.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I found a partial answer to my question at :

Do you convert older generation Prius cars?

No, sorry, at this point we only convert Prius model year '04, '05 and '06. It's because the older generation Prius model uses a somewhat different technology than the '04 model, which doesn't lend itself to effective PHEV conversions.

Reply to
phil_thayer