2004 Prius Cruise Control

I was wondering if the following is normal.

On a trip over the past weekend I used the cruise control while on some stretches of highway. When I went to back/side roads that were winding, naturally I had to hit the brake and the cruise control was no longer used.

After about an hour on these back/side roads I got back on a highway that I could use the cruise. When I pushed up on the cruise stalk it would not reactivate. No I never turned the car off. I had to reset the speed I wanted.

Is there a time limit built in that turns off the cruise control?

Thank you.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Reshetar

I don't know if this is the way that it is supposed to work, but mine does the same thing. It seems like if my speed drops below about 30 mph, I will have to reset my cruise speed.

Kari

Reply to
kari

This may be a standard thing on cruise controls or Toyota cruise controls. I currently drive a Corolla and if the speed drops below 30 mph the memory of the cruise control is gone. If I manage to stay above 30 mph, I can use the resume feature.

I assume is a safety lockout to avoid problem such as Audi (I think) was accused of some years ago (on 60 Minutes) where there were accelerations of vehicles that should have been still. This problem was, according to some, the result of an overly-eager cruise control system. If the cruise is unable to engage below 30 mph, which is supposedly the case (I haven't gone and tried to set cruise at, say, 25 mph) then that problem is eliminated.

Reply to
Paul Neubauer

Thanks, I couldn't find anything in the manual about it dropping the setting.

Time to call the experts at the dealership.

Reply to
Mike Reshetar

Paul, thanks for the insight. The Prius is the first Toyota I have owned.

On other vehicles that I have owned with cruise control no matter how slow I had to go (such as backups in construction zones) once I got within a few MPH of the set speed and hit the resume the cruise control would work. Of coarse with these other models I could not set a speed lower than 35 MPH. Like you I have not tried anything lower than 55 MPH on the Toyota.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Reshetar

If you turn the car off, the cruise control set speed is reset.

If your speed drops below 24mph, the cruise control set speed is reset.

There is another place that the cruise control will forget it's previously set speed. I don't recall the varience, but it's something like if your cruising speed drops Xmph below your previously set speed (I think it's 15mph below your set speed, but I don't recall the speed.)

Reply to
Michelle Vadeboncoeur

Thanks Michelle. You saved me and a Toyota tech some time.

I don't like that setup, then again there are many things in life I don't like but live with it.

Reply to
Mike Reshetar

Michelle, You are correct. My T100 is like that. If my current speed falls below 20 MPH of my previous set speed it would also be reset. My El Camino only worked above 35 mph so it sounds like a Toyota thing. The one thing I hated about my El Camino cruise control was the fact that it would actually increase the speed about 3 to 4 mph above the set speed before settling down. They Toy cruise control just plain kicked in smoothly.

Reply to
der