2010 Prius 5 GPS

Just traded in my Ford Expedition clunker for a new Prius. It is a 2010 loaded with everything. I have a couple of issues I was hoping you could comment on.

  1. The GPS appears to be horrible. It is not accurate at all. I've had it tell me I've arrived at a destination (address) when it was about 10 houses away. My old Garmin Nuvi 350 was accurate to within 1 house, usually it would get me to the driveway. I've seen the 150 ft and 300 ft icon but it seems a lot more inaccurate than that.

  1. The GPS is useless when the car is moving. About all it lestsyou do is Go Home. Can't look for POI's at all. Again: the old Garmin defaulted to that behavior, but there was an option to turn it off so it was functional while driving. I've been through the manuals and can't seem to find an option to turn it off. Any ideas?

BTW: for anyone that says it is a distraction while driving, that argument may hold water in another car but not in the Prius. There are more arrows, pictures, gages, etc. than a video game. I don't think the GPS would be much worse than it already is.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
mc

That is deliberate; it gives you time to search for a parking space. The screen is much more accurate as to your destination, though.

Almost all of that can be turned off.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

That is a common complaint with Toyota navigation systems.

That is par for the course for any Toyota. The lawyers have grabbed hold of these cars and won't let go.

Next time, just use a Garmin and be done with it.

You *can* fiddle with things, eventually, and unlock the navigation system while moving--maybe:

IF they have a system for the 10 Prius, and IF they decide to fulfill your order (two very big IFs for this company), you can at least unlock the damn thing while it's moving.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"mc" wrote in news:h5l3nm$ssu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

THE GPS CAN BE USED WHILE MOVING, BUT NOT THRU THE SCREEN. YOU CAN VOICE COMMAND IT. I FIND IT EASIER TO JUST PULL OVER FOR A MOMENT, GRAB A SOFT DRINK, AND ENTER THE ADDRESS.

Reply to
no one

Maybe keep a grill, charcol and some burgers in the trunk while we're at it. I'm getting closer to putting in the old Garmin. Good thing I spent all that money for the nav system. What was Toyota thinking. At least I'll be able to look for a parking spot on the way to the parking garage :)

MC

Reply to
mc

I've compared my Prius navigation system with my Garmin and with my daughter's whatever (the name escapes me) and the Prius has everything those have. All three show a slight error in my address because my address post, which translates to my geophysical coordinates, was staked a few months before the error was taken out of the GPS system. The Prius system has a larger display than the other two, is easier to see at a glance when driving, has more convenient controls (voice, steering wheel button) and is very difficult to steal. I ordered it in my new 2010 (arrives next Friday) because I liked the system in my 2005.

The Prius navigation system doesn't continuously interrogate the GPS satellites. In fact, it doesn't configure itself until a minute or two after you start the car and get moving. Perhaps yours is out of calibration. You will find the calibration routine in the manual or by playing with the buttons. The procedure should be repeated when you change tires.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Really?

Eco-Route? Lifetime map updates for $119? Use it while the car is moving? Move it from car to car? 3-D interchange displays? Etc, etc.

No, the Toyota stuff will always suck. It will always lag behind whatever Garmin brings out at the same time.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Different strokes for different folks. I only have one car. Never use the Garmin. The Prius always lets me choose between three routes. Latest update cost me $100.00.

Reply to
Was Istoben

You should have hanged on to your Garmin. I use the 530C . Works just fine.

Reply to
Fred Seaver