A note fromt he dealer:

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking around this post for quite some time. Admittedly I have not read everything. But I would like to share something that I got in my inbox this evening. In hopes that it would give us all something to compare. (please see the letter below). Am I crazy or are these prices just way too high???

I wanted to send you out an update on the status of our inventory, most importantly the New 2005 Prius's that we have coming in. I know that you have been in the market, and for the most part, very patient. well....the old saying is that "good things come to those who wait."

This is what we have coming in over the next two to three weeks:

1 - Black - Package 1 - $24, 751.00 (plus tax and license)

1 - Blue - Package 1 - $24,751.00 (plus tax and license)

1 - Blue - Package 3 - $25,201.00 (plus tax and license)

1 - Blue - Package 6 - $29,166.00 (plus tax and license)

1 - Salsa Red - Package 6 - $29,742.00 (plus tax and license)

Please contact me if you are interested in one these vehicles, as you may be aware, these vehicles go very quickly and are sold on a first come / first serve basis.

We will be taking deposits for these vehicles, so that you may SECURE yours today. So please call or email back as soon as possible.

Thank you for the possibility of earning your business!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Life is too short to post at the bottom! John (remove .remove to reply) DeGrazia

Reply to
John J. DeGrazia

My black - Package 6 plus floor mats is 26,239 plus tax and license.

Reply to
Bill

Too high unless you're in a real hurry. One can do better by waiting or buying from a dealer out in the boonies.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Sorry. I forgot to mention I am in San Diego, CA. I just responded to the dealer that their price is nearly $3000 more than other dealers on comparative vehicles, and that they would have to become more competitive to "earn my business".

You guys are GREAT!!!

-John

Reply to
John J. DeGrazia

Capitalist pigs! How dare they charge a premium for an in-demand vehicle!! The government should get involved and make it illegal to charge more than the invoice for these vehicles!

Tongue firmly in cheek,

KK

Reply to
Kevin Kirkeby

No law require. If John asks for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), the dealer is obligated to answer truthfully. Apparently, John's research paid off.

Over the months I've waited for my Prius, I've come to understand how the distribution system works in my region:

Dealer is allocated X units per month. That allocation doesn't specify color or option level.

The dealer maintains a chronological list of orders. The delivery time can be roughly determined by dividing the number of names on that list by the number of units allocated each month.

When my name was at the top of the list, and when the next allocation was made, the dealer asked the regional distributor to fill that allocation with a black level 6 with gray fabric.

The allocation was instead filled with a black level 6 with ivory fabric, the gray fabric not being available to the distributor at that moment.

I was given the option of taking the non-conforming unit or waiting for the correct unit while maintaining my position on the top of the list. At the point in time where I had to choose, the next month's allocation was made and the dealer was then able to confirm a conforming unit. I decided to wait a month.

The non-conforming unit was then offered to each person on the waiting list in chronological order. It was sold to someone on that list six hours after I turned it down.

Over the past 3 months, because I was near the top of the list, I was offered a non-conforming unit each month which tells me that few units precisely match the customer's order.

I'm under the impression that Toyota builds cars with colors and option levels in anticipation of what will sell, not to conform to specific orders. I believe regional distributors are allocated an array roughly matching the manufacturer's production array. In other words, it's a crap shoot.

Reply to
Bill

Yup, just like with most other foreign cars. Even with American-made cars, it's a crap shoot unless you're willing to wait until a car that you order is built and shipped to the dealer--and most likely, you won't get the discounts and rebates that are available for cars already on the dealer's lot.

The only foreign car I know of off hand where you can order the car to your specifications is the Mini Cooper--and now that supply has caught up with demand, I don't know whether that's still an option.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Hi again everyone,

I was given the opportunity to test drive a Package 6 yesterday. I was substantially under-impressed with the power. (I don't need power in a hybrid. But this one was lacking measurable spunk). I found the displays confusing, though I could probably overcome that with some training, and experience. I found the rear seat space exceptional, and the rear visibility better than I assumed.

I was disappointed with the management and any motivation toward dealing on a price. Apparently the 3K bonus charge is expected in this neighborhood (San Diego, CA) and I have no reason to compare this price with the price I could find in Phoenix. (For $3K, I could fly to Phoenix, buy a Prius and save a lot of money.) I guess they don't need my business.

-John

Reply to
John J. DeGrazia

I've found the power to be more than adequate; I can accelerate to freeway speeds safely, and have enough power to pass safely.

How many dealers did you check with? I went from Phoenix to Fresno to buy mine because the Phoenix dealers had massive waiting lists (this was six months ago); I paid MRSP for it. The dealer in Fresno was Michael Toyota.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

displays

Seems to me that you're someone who drives by sound, and isn't used to a CVT. A number of people new to the CVT seem to think that there is no power... They hear the engine rev up to provide the acceleration that they ask for, get scared by the sound of the engine thinking that they're hurting it (but they're not; 2004/5 Prius rev limits at

5000rpm), and instinctively take their foot off of the accelerator (so the car subsequently goes slower, and the new driver thinks the car is underpowered)... The sound of the engine is proportional to the load/power being asked of it (so the engine will rev up if you're accelerating or going up a hill, and the engine may even turn off/you're driving on electric if you're coasting or going downhill) and does not relate to the speed that you're going or the "gear" that you're in.

Displays - odd that the dealer didn't show you how to turn them off, as it's quite easy to do if you find them distracting. Most owners just get used to the steering wheel buttons, leave the climate control on Auto.

Reply to
mrv