Added Cruise Control to New Prius!

It was actually easy and looks 100% Toyota when done! I got the parts kit and instruction manual from

It wasn't too bad for a shade tree mechanic like me, I can change oil, plugs brakes and stuff. After pricing what the Toyota dealer wanted $595 !! I did a search and found it for $200 I like keeping an extra $400 in my pocket! Its as smooth as any factory cruise! They have a large selection of other stuff, too.

Reply to
I'm Right

All new Prius's already come with cruise control. It's on the steering wheel stalk on the lower right.

If you're pumping the aftermarket cruise, you're picking the wrong car.

Reply to
David T. Johnson

There wasn't any cruise control on the car until I added it, it didn't have your special option packages. It looks and operates 100% as other Toyotas do, dash light even lights.

Reply to
I'm Right

You looked at the wrong page David. Note the word "options" in your link above. It's optionally added with package 1. Take this link:

Was Istoben

What year model Prius?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

At least in the United States, all Prius's are imported with at least one of the 'packages' AFAIK.

Reply to
David T. Johnson

Two years ago I received a base Prius--no package, no nothin'. Had to be ordered special, took 4 months to come on the boat from Japan.

Doesn't have an AUX plugin to the stereo, NOTHING.

But it does have cruise control.

I'm guessing they all have cruise control, because they ALL have what

*my* car came with as a 2007 model.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I only know what Toyota says: It's a package option on the standard Prius, standard on the Touring model. Take the link I posted. That is precisely what they say and it certainly confirms what the OP said about adding a third-party cruise. Perhaps Toyota has a misprint.

Reply to
Was Istoben

They've switched things around. Mine has everything Package One is listed with, except for alloy wheels. Two years ago, that wasn't Package One in my area.

Remember, each regional distributor does his own thing.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I was under the impression a business, any business, was obligated to offer product at the advertised price. I tried a few zip codes and the product was consistently offered at that price. If you can't buy a 2009 Prius w/o options for $22750.00 plus state and local taxes then what the heck? Are they giving the FTC a wedgie? From what I read, the OP's link to a 3rd party cruise, along with his testimonial, may be of value to anyone who purchases the base model.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Yes its a base model, and with a little more investigation the parts, they are made by the Toyota supplier. So its the same parts you'd get in a Toyota box plus the instructions and stuff, but No High priced dealer mark up or dealer service dept bendover without a reach around.

So its Toyota quality parts in one kit with instructions on what must be done. It also fits the Tundra, Tacoma and Corolla according to the instructions.

Reply to
I'm Right

No law requires a Prius to be sold at the MSRP, which stands for "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price". Normally, that is enough more than the price for which a dealer is willing to sell the vehicle that the dealer may appear to be giving discounts, but when a vehicle is in really great demand, the dealer may ask for more than the MSRP and get it.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

Of course not, but the FTC examines deceptive practices. If you advertise a particular product at a particular price but no such product exists at any price, that would be clearly deceptive. Recently folks have been discussing Honda's competition with the Prius. Until people were able to sit in the Honda, the discussion centered around the price difference. That difference was based on the advertised base price of the Honda and Toyota hybrids. Using some of the reasoning I've seen here, all Toyota need do is advertise a lower price on a non-existent model to beat Honda. Were this to happen, Honda would complain bitterly to the FTC. If a dealer advertises the product at the base price, no matter who their distributor is, they must, at a minimum, have that product on hand at the time they place the ad.

But in the instant case, this is all moot. According to the OP he bought the base model and it comes without cruise control. Toyota's on-line literature confirms his claim. Obviously the model IS available. He is, as his handle clearly states, right.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Well... except that they don't, and simply saying they do over and over doesn't change that. The OP bought one without cruise control. How did he do that if they don't exist?

And why does Toyota's own web site say that they're an OPTION? Did you even bother to look there?

Think about it all you want. Fact is they sell a base model Prius without option packages, without cruise control.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Yes. It's part of an evil plot. You almost have it figured out.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Well...except that all Priuses have cruise control. Moreover, THINK about it for a minute. Why would Toyota sell a hybrid WITHOUT cruise control? Unlike a conventional vehicle, the Prius is ELECTRIC drive and comes with ALL of the elements of cruise control already 'built in' as a part of the hybrid system. The cruise control function is valuable for fuel economy which is the objective of the hybrid in the first place. Toyota WANTS you to have cruise control on your Prius. Do you think they would sell one without it?

Reply to
David T. Johnson

Reply to
Steve Giannoni

Think about it a little bit more. As has been said here many times before the Prius is a gas-engined car with electric assist. This has (as we say in the UK) sod all to do with cruise control (as far as I can see). Cruise control is about selecting a road speed and then controlling the "throttle" to maintain that speed. In which case it could just as easily be applied to a steam driven vehicle. How the control is achieved is the key. As the Prius has a "fly-by-wire" throttle, control is probably more easily achieved than the steam engine, but I don't think hybrid technology has the monopoly.

I am open to educating, however.......

Chas

Reply to
Chas Gill

I would think of the Prius as more an electric-drive vehicle with a gas-engine assist since the front wheels are driven by the MG2 electric motor and therefore are not powered unless MG2 is operating. The throttle for the Prius gasoline engine is always controlled by the computer which also monitors the road speed so the cruise control elements are already included on every Prius. However, I investigated the cruise control 'option' for the Prius and it was not even available for the 2001 first generation model for which the only options (in the U.S.) were a CD player and floor mats. The 2002 and 2003 models (also first generation) had cruise control available only as an option. The second generation Prius beginning with the 2004 model had cruise control as standard equipment for 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. For 2008 and

2009, cruise control was included as standard equipment in the 'touring' model but not the base model, although it is included in all of the options packages and, as a practical matter, almost every Prius comes with an option package. However it is theoretically possible to buy a 2009 Prius without cruise control. So...I was wrong to state that every Prius has cruise control, but only like 99 percent of them.
Reply to
David T. Johnson

Reply to
Tom Cole