Battery Question

Hello,

We just bought a 06 Prius yesterday and we love this car!

One question is that the battery never really seems go get Fully charged, you know with all of the bars filled green? It usually has hovered right around 3/4 charged, one bar below when the status bar turns green. (I hope that makes sense).

Anyway, there is only 200 miles on her by now - does this sound odd to anyone? Comments appreciated!

Reply to
Jeff Lloyd

Yes. It took me a long time to get my first green bar--and an even longer time to get the second one. I came to think it's probably just as well, because you have some room for more charging as you brake and coast.

Reply to
Jean B.

Hello,

We just bought a 06 Prius yesterday and we love this car!

One question is that the battery never really seems go get Fully charged, you know with all of the bars filled green? It usually has hovered right around 3/4 charged, one bar below when the status bar turns green. (I hope that makes sense).

Anyway, there is only 200 miles on her by now - does this sound odd to anyone? Comments appreciated!

Sounds like my 2005. I've never seen it 100% charged nor (fortunately) 100% discharged. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Just gassed up - had 52.3 mpg on the last tank which is typical for my summer fills.

Reply to
Bill

Sounds normal.

I've only seen it max out into the green going down a long steep hill. The converse is also very true climbing back up, got her down to one bar in the red! Not really as responsive at one bar in the red.

The intervals between full charge and red zone is maybe 40% capacity to 60% charged.

Don't worry about it. The computers manage the thing very well.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

We just bought a 06 Prius yesterday and we love this car!

One question is that the battery never really seems go get Fully charged, you know with all of the bars filled green? It usually has hovered right around 3/4 charged, one bar below when the status bar turns green. (I hope that makes sense).

Anyway, there is only 200 miles on her by now - does this sound odd to anyone? Comments appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Very rarely will you ever see the batteries fully charged. It's meant to extend the life of them. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

We just bought a 06 Prius yesterday and we love this car!

One question is that the battery never really seems go get Fully charged, you know with all of the bars filled green? It usually has hovered right around 3/4 charged, one bar below when the status bar turns green. (I hope that makes sense).

Anyway, there is only 200 miles on her by now - does this sound odd to anyone? Comments appreciated!

************************************************************************* Nothing unusual at all. The battery tends to stay in the middle of the range so there is room (so to speak) for it to work. It will show full charge after a long downhill (about 2000 ft drop for our 2002) but will spend the regenerated charge as assist pretty quickly. That's just the way the hybrid system works.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hello,

We just bought a 06 Prius yesterday and we love this car!

One question is that the battery never really seems go get Fully charged, you know with all of the bars filled green? It usually has hovered right around 3/4 charged, one bar below when the status bar turns green. (I hope that makes sense).

Anyway, there is only 200 miles on her by now - does this sound odd to anyone? Comments appreciated!

Reply to
Jeff Lloyd

Averaging 48mpg so far.

That's just great Jeff. Don't know where you live but for me in Minnesota's winter the mileage drops from the low 50's to the high 40's during cold weather. My self-imposed 55 mph speed limit makes the biggest difference. Now, if I could plan my trips so I always had a tail wind I could get it into the 70 mpg range.

Reply to
Bill