"Bell the Hybrid"

I thought they broke up the bell system.

Reply to
Was Istoben

The blind have claimed an 8 year old boy who turned into a Prius riding his bicycle would not had the Prius made engine noise. His mother made this claim instead of stating that she should teach her son to 'look before turning into traffic.'

Of course the blind consider this perfect justification for "Bell the Hybrid." Will the kid reach puberty with a mother like that?

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson

I does not take a hybrid for that to happen. Several years ago I had the same thing happen to me when I was driving my Plymouth Laser. A kid was looking the other way and rode right into my car. I was not moving at the time and he was moving very slowly so no one was hurt. Sound had little to do with it, the problem was lack of attention.

Reply to
Michael N. LeVine

Natural selection involves an infinite number of hazards. As a coping mechanism, senses develop over thousands of generations. The importance of the mind cannot be understated because it directs these senses. In the absence of vision, for example, the mind will compensate with enhanced hearing, touch, smell and taste.

In the instant case, the mother unreasonably substitutes hearing for unimpaired vision. The mind failed to direct the vision. It is no less likely the mind would have failed to direct the hearing. Your point, Bob, is more a statement of fact than opinion.

Clearly humans are genetically disadvantaged in many ways. A wasp can fly long before a child can walk. You can potty train your dog in less time than you can potty train your child. Despite these remarkable shortcomings, the human mind generally matures into a controller superior to that of either the wasp or dog. "Bell the hybrid" is an exception to that rule.

Reply to
Was Istoben