Block Heater Installation Tips

Moving to northern MN and need help.

Anybody had a block heater installation done to your US Prius? Toyota or other service outfit recommendation? Price?

Thanks!

Reply to
Greg

There's a very complete and detailed installation guide on priuschat.com (you'll have to do a search... typically abbreviated EBH), and they usually have a group buy from time-to-time to get a slightly better price. I plan to get two this year.

Reply to
Bream Rockmetteller

Thanks for the reference. I've seen that guide. I'd prefer to have someone do it for me, as it looks like quite a compicated and sizable task.

BTW, any> >

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for the reference.  I've seen that guide. I prefer to have someone do it for me, as it looks like quite a complicated task.

BTW, has anyone tried a Tank-Type coolant heater on their Prius like the one below?

Greg

It's actually quite simple to install. It took me less than an hour, without rushing. If you have a jack and jackstands, and don't mind getting some grease on your hands, it's not a big operation.

I'd be very wary of something like that, since the Prius pumps its coolant into a holding thermos when you shut it off, and while I'm sure the system isn't completely dry at that point, having a device that's designed for a system that's always full of coolant might not work too well.

Reply to
Mr. G

Or you can contact Wayne the FireEngineer on PriusChat. He could install it for you in less time that it takes to order and consume a coffee and donut. And he'll do it for free if he is available.

Reply to
Willie K. Yee, MD

Would you happen to know where Wayne lives? Thanks!

Reply to
Greg

I've talked with Wayne and he'll be installing my EBH this week.

Thanks Willie!

Willie K. Yee, MD wrote:

Reply to
Greg

It's a Toyota OEM product. I installed my own. They come standard on CAN models I hear, so there should be no risk.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

The above quote was in response to someone who asked if they could use a tank-type heater from JC Whitney, and not the Toyota OEM heater. In the same post I stated that the OEM heater was very easy to install.

Reply to
Mr. G

Wayne installed my EBH yesterday AM. He was here for about half an hour total. He said his record EBH installation time was a mere 7 minutes!

Thanks again for the reference Willie!

And special kudos and thanks to Wayne. He made a 2.5 hour drive from Chicago to N central IN just to install my EBH!

Wayne said m> >

Reply to
Greg