Bluetooth

I have been trying to decipher the manual on use of a Bluetooth phone in the 2004 Prius. This section appears to have been translated from Japanese to Romulan then to something faintly resembling English. My dealer can't figure out the manual, and Toyota USA says to ignore the manual; that you can make one touch calls and receive calls when the vehicle's moving. Could any Prius owners with a Bluetooth phone please let me know if I should spend the money for a Bluetooth phone, and how does it work? Thanks. Arcy

Reply to
Richard Cohen

My dealer gave me a sheet with tis web address on it:

The site provided instructions customized for many supported Bluetooth phones. The instructions for my Sony-Ericsson T616 were wrong in a few places, but close enough that I was able to get it working fairly quickly. You can indeed make one touch calls and receive calls while the vehicle is moving. While the vehicle is stopped you can access an entire phone list for making outgoing calls, provided you copied that phone list from your phone earlier. The one drawback was that the Prius phone list is the kind that pairs one name to one phone number, while my phone recognizes that people have multiple, different kinds of phone. So when I copied the phoen list, only one number per person was copied. I don't make a lot of outgoing calls fromt he car so I haven't gone to the trouble of figuring out how to fix this.

When a call is in effect, the Prius acts as a speakerphone for your Bluetooth phone and automatically pauses or mutes the audio system. It works pretty well. I'm not to have to dig the phone out of my front pocket while driving anymore!

David

Reply to
David Durkee

Here's my opinion as a professional geek. If you TALK in the car often, then yes, you will love this feature. Full stop.

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician

I heard a lot about this Bluetooth thing though. How much more handsfree can you get?! That's great even if you don't talk in your car a lot. If you own a cell phone it's great.

Reply to
BU Empress

I bought the Ericsson T616. With the Prius manual and the Ericsson manual and a bit of reading between the lines, I was able to get it working. I don't use the phone a lot while I'm driving for outgoing calls, but the hands off is great for answering incoming. You can set up three pages of one touch numbers which can be called while the car is moving (6 per page, I think). The feature is worth it for sure if you use your cellphone a lot. I bought the phone from Cingular for $150 and got a $100 rebate by turning in my old two year old $30 phone, plus a $30 Gift card. Since I had recently moved and my Sprint service was poor-to-none at my new home, it was pretty much a win-win situation for me to switch providers and get the Bluetooth phone (especially since Sprint did not support any Bluetooth phones at the time).

Kari

Reply to
kari