Break-in period

My Prius is almost here. :-) I keep meaning to ask how one should drive during the break-in period. I have read that one needs to accelerate unaggressively for quite a while (or it seems like that to one who is used to the opposite). I have heard this is debatable for normal cars and wonder whether it is also debatable for the Prius?

When I got my VW, I was just told to drive it. No special instructions for break-in....

Reply to
Jean B.

It's only for the first 600 miles; keep it under 80 MPH and don't brake hard. After 600 miles, drive as you wish.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I guess we babied our cars because they were new, but nothing too crazy. I did the 5k svc about 1k early to shake out any sediment, but that's about all I did out of the ordinary.

Russ

Reply to
RRG

Eeeek--re the acceleration only, When you are used to a quick acceleration, it may be hard to remember. Also, one is not totally in control of how hard one has to brake. Yes, when it IS under my control (which is almost always the case), I will do that.... Thanks.

Reply to
Jean B.

Thanks. My main problem is that I am used to rocketing off of stops. (My car encouraged me to do that....) I have to remember not to do this. Maybe I can cure myself of this bad habit....

Reply to
Jean B.

The day after I received my Prius I started a roughly 500 mile round trip on a 70 mph interstate. Knowing I was taking this trip, my dealer gave me specific break-in instructions. He said to drive 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 and 75 mph changing speeds every 5 minutes or so. While this may not have been necessary, I followed his instructions. That was last February and it was fairly cold so cabin heat was on continuously. Averaged 47.5 for that trip. Mileage is now about 52 on each tank and the car runs just fine. He said had I not been taking that trip, which would otherwise entail long periods with the cruise set to the speed of my choice, there would have been no special break-in routine.

Reply to
news.envoy.com

Thanks! I wonder what, if anything, *I* will be told? And what the manual says. Soon I shall know all. (Car is coming in sometime between now and Thursday. I may not pick it up until Saturday though.)

Reply to
Jean B.

C'mon, it's a $20,000 asset. Surely you can remember not to drive like a maniac for the first 600 miles?

And read the fine owner's manual. Especially read the "before you drive" section before you drive away from the dealer.

Do you have the inspection checklist?

richard schumacher

Manual says not to change speed abruptly so you better break that habit of peeling-out on green, Jean.

Reply to
Ingenuous

I don't drive like a maniac--I just like accelerating quickly. But yes, I will remember. I hope/

Okay. How long is that? I hope they don't mind my sitting there forever.

I didn't but have just printed it. Thanks.

Reply to
Jean B.

Yeah. It's a bad habit anyway. I got into it because my car is very quick off the start, and I found that kind-of fun. :-(

Reply to
Jean B.

Reply to
szaki

Mileage wasn't - and still isn't - all that hot though. Maybe 38-39 mpg, but better than the 24 I had previous.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

It should take less than 20 minutes. It's worth the time.

Enjoy!

Reply to
richard schumacher

I like to do it when anyone next to me at a stoplight is showing real attitude. It's fun to pull away from some squealing Charger, Mustang, or SUV. This is possible because most people don't know how to optimally shift their old broken down shit technology transmissions, which of course is not an issue in a Prius. (Can't beat BMWs or 'Vettes, though; that will have to wait for the hybrid Camry.) It seems to help to push the pedal just enough to start the engine (takes about half-a-second), and then mash it to the floor for as long as necessary. It works especially well going uphill. The others just crap out.

Of course, do this only *after* the sensible-driving break-in period, otherwise performance and engine life may be reduced. Synthetic oil may also help.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Nope. To protect the electric motors, the computers won't let it go faster than 114 MPH.

Reply to
richard schumacher

My current car got 22 at best and now has declined because of undiagnosed problems, so whatever I get with the Prius will be MUCH better. Of course, I am going to be shooting for good numbers--and that may keep my (eventual) acceleration at a more modest level.

Reply to
Jean B.

I've now printed out all of the literature--good stuff! Thanks so much for the link to that.

I will be sure to look at the manual and the checklists while I am there--and to do the little drive to gather initial observations re the alignment etc.

Reply to
Jean B.

I, anyway, am not into speeding. I don't even do much highway driving. I do like to accelerate though--and to be able to pass annoyingly slow vehicles.

Reply to
Jean B.

For many, shooting for those good numbers can become an obsession. The Prius instrumentation, along with an understanding of how the brakes work, makes it easy to beat the EPA highway rating. The first 5 minutes, as the engine warms up, is a killer though. I probably average 35 during this period. People who have a regular 5-minute commute aren't going to come close to the EPA rating while people who have a regular 30-minute commute can beat it handily.

Reply to
Ingenuous